Jim Kelly Build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Jim Kelly Build

Post by dorrisant »

I have the basic ingredients for this build. For the iron, an Antek PT P# AS-2T350, and a Dynaco clone OT of unknown origin with a 4k3 primary.

I really just want some of you guys to take a look at the layout and critique it. I reworked the schematic and layout from a previous post to custom fit the donor chassis I am going to use. The big difference is really just putting the rectifiers and filters on a separate board. I will use can-caps for the reservoir, so those caps will be off-board. I also need to work out the details of tapping the bias supply from the HT, so the voltage divider is not on there yet. I have numbered the components on the schematic and reworked a picture of a board layout that was posted in a previous thread. I had to edit it in MS Paint to include a few parts that I thought were missing. Also I did a 1:1 layout in DIY Layout Creator which is easy enough to edit to taste. I can post the original .diy files from DIY Layout Creator if you guys want to edit them to work for your project. This layout was sized to fit the width of the fiberboard available from CED/AES.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong.

Also, this build might be a bit slow due to the amount of work piling up
here.

**Edited for the latest - Verified as of 3-1-17**
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dorrisant on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
dorrisant

Re: Jim Kelly Build

Post by dorrisant »

Here are three layouts in pdf from for 1:1 scale. The second one has all of the filter caps on a longer PS board.

Another question... Will there be any problems with the layout pictured here? It is a combo cab, so I put a speaker in there to make sure of clearance.

The circular marking is where the PT will mount. The OT will be mounted on the left corner toward the rear of the chassis.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dorrisant on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

These do look very nice!!

Couple of comments on first glance:
- are you building without the reverb? You have to play with the dropping resistors to adjust the voltages, if that is so.
- diode string at v1b grid seem to be missing

Niki
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks Niki.

I am building with reverb. I figured I might have to adjust the dropping string a bit... I will probably put in what is shown and work from there.

As far as the diodes, I have not been able to spot them in any of the pictures I've seen. I had thought of just installing them at the socket... any suggestions?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Looking forward to this one Tony! What I found great about this amp is that it is sooooo tweakable to taste, if need be.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

This looks like its going to be an interesting projet the layouts look good.

Does anyone know where I can download DIY Layout Creator software?

All the links are dead now.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Here is the zip file for DIY Layout Creator...

I will edit later today and put the most current revision of these layouts here to keep it on the front page of the post.

Let me know if this zip file works.

Last edited by dorrisant on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Many thanks i'll check it this evening.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Thanks for this, but I don't see the project file in the zip.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Looks great!
This circuit is on my to build list
Subscribed 8)

D
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

studiodunn wrote:I don't see the project file in the zip.
It is now... :)
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

dorrisant wrote:Thanks Niki.

I am building with reverb. I figured I might have to adjust the dropping string a bit... I will probably put in what is shown and work from there.

As far as the diodes, I have not been able to spot them in any of the pictures I've seen. I had thought of just installing them at the socket... any suggestions?
You are right - they seem to be wired at the socket. I built my SE JK mixture all P2P so pretty much everything was at the socket and I referenced to the published pictures to verify some values/connections only.

Layouts look great and I will be following the thread with interest. I still plan to build the full version. Power amp is much of this amp sound.

Niki
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

dorrisant wrote:
studiodunn wrote:I don't see the project file in the zip.
It is now... :)
Awesome, Thank you!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I edited the first post to show a revised jpg of the board layout I had modified. One of the PI coupling caps was showing an incorrect value. Both are .15µF now.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nicely done Tony.