electrolytic measures good, acts bad?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jerryz1963

electrolytic measures good, acts bad?

Post by Jerryz1963 »

Is it possible for an electrolytic to measure good but break down under high voltage? I have one that measures good, but when I inserted it in the circuit, i had a small lightning storm inside the 5U4. I took it out of the circuit and all was well. It comes after a pretty stiff inductor, and it's only 33 uF. the first electrolytic (after the rectifier) is below 50 uf, so the 5U4 shouldn't be stressing out.
Jerry
Shangri La Amplifiers
xtian

Re: electrolytic measures good, acts bad?

Post by xtian »

Yes, definitely.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

Jerryz1963 wrote:Is it possible for an electrolytic to measure good but break down under high voltage? I have one that measures good, but when I inserted it in the circuit, i had a small lightning storm inside the 5U4. I took it out of the circuit and all was well. It comes after a pretty stiff inductor, and it's only 33 uF. the first electrolytic (after the rectifier) is below 50 uf, so the 5U4 shouldn't be stressing out.
Define "measures good".

A cap can be tested for capacitance value by many meters.
A proper leakage test must be done at the operating voltage.
A simple ohm test done by a meter (even a very good one, eg Fluke) will almost always eventually show infinite ohms and is of little real value.

rd
Jerryz1963

Post by Jerryz1963 »

I used a capacitance meter. It seems to be pretty accurate, but doesn't do the leak test.
Jerry
Shangri La Amplifiers
Joe L

Post by Joe L »

Put a 100k resistor between the cap and the choke. Disconnect any load after the cap. Turn the amp on and measure the voltage drop across the resistor. It should take a moment or two to get near 0 volts. It should end up with less than a volt.

This test will not hurt the rest of the amp even if the cap is dead shorted.

..Joe L
Jerryz1963

Post by Jerryz1963 »

Joe L wrote:Put a 100k resistor between the cap and the choke. Disconnect any load after the cap. Turn the amp on and measure the voltage drop across the resistor. It should take a moment or two to get near 0 volts. It should end up with less than a volt.

This test will not hurt the rest of the amp even if the cap is dead shorted.

..Joe L
Thank you very much.
Jerry
Shangri La Amplifiers
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

X2 with Joe there!
One tip on cap life is to never discharge them by shorting there + end right to ground as this can blow a hole in their dielectric so to speak.
Some times we do this by accidence when working on a amp, sometimes the cap is old or defective.
If the amp has a standby switch in the DC side of the power supply then turning that on with the main ac switch off is the safest way to discharge the power supply, if not than draining the main first filter and in turn all the others by means of hooking a 470k resistor across that filter will get the job done in 45 seconds.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Eico 950B... This piece of gear will allow you to see the capacitance as you crank the HT up. Some caps will fail just shy of the voltage ratings, this guy will let you see which ones fail. Also, it lets you compare the turns ratio of transformers and sort through resistors and coils so you can match the values when needed. It also uses a way cool seeing eye tube which gives it a cool factor. I found mine on eBay for about $60 shipped. I love it!

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo