Writing the book....

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bruce egnater

Writing the book....

Post by bruce egnater »

I guess this is something old guys do after gathering a lifetime of knowledge. You feel like it's time to share. I've always thought about writing an amp related book. What sort of information is difficult to find in other books? What subjects are most useful?
shoggoth

Re: Writing the book....

Post by shoggoth »

There's no great book out there (that I'm aware of) for high gain amp design.
Randy Magee

Post by Randy Magee »

The main problem with most books about amp and building is the organization of the information and a lack of and index...
Randy Magee
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Switching, more importantly developing the switching logic for channels, output tubes (mixing types), rectifiers etc... Flexibility.

Going beyond the standard 2 and 3 button "Marshall" foot switches.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Power amp design.

It's hard to beat Merlin's preamp book, but I don't think he has any plans to do a similar book for power amps in the near future.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

xtian

Post by xtian »

Phil_S wrote:Ahem....cough, cough...
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Power-S ... 0956154514
Well, that's power supplies, not power amps. Also, Merlin has disowned his own work, saying there were too many errors, and he wasn't planning to update it.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
The New Steve H

Post by The New Steve H »

The book I bought because everyone recommended it is full of errors?
Relax. It's SUPPOSED to smoke a little.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Yeah, he doesn't like his own PS book any more, even though there is still a lot of good stuff in there. :?

But I was thinking more about power amps.

There are a lot of different preamp designs out there, and plenty of info (including Merlin's excellent preamp book) describing how to design them, but everybody just seems to use one or two power amp designs, when there is much to consider, like what can be done with screen grids, cathode vs. fixed bias, OT selection, zoebel and conjunctive filtering, ultralinear operation, classes of power amps etc etc etc...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My favorite amp books are Tino Zottola how to build: In Bruce's case Marshall plexi amps hot rodded with switching and crazy stuff. :lol:
bluefireamps

Post by bluefireamps »

There are plenty of books that deal with how tubes and circuits work. What is lacking is information on how to tweak circuits and how they will then sound. Along the same lines would be how layout affects the sound. Info on how the output transformer affects the tone. Primary impedance, inductance, lamination types, etc. I guess a book on the real black art of designing an amp would be helpful. It is an empirical process to be sure, but there are surely some similarities that could apply to many amps.

Dave
Tube Powered
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Frankly, one of the more engaging reads I have had wasn't technical, but Ken Bran's posts several years ago on the Yahoo JTM45 group. That really provoked some interesting questions and responses, as Ken provided some insight into building the first JTM-45, working with Pete Townsend, etc.

So I would think a collaboration of amp builders / techs experiences, like your own, Dawk's, and others wrapped into a hard-back book would be a really interesting read. Ken's' posts certainly were. Think of it as a literary edition of "It Might Get Loud". Title it, "Turn That Thing Down!" or something similar.
talbany

Post by talbany »

What is lacking is information on how to tweak circuits and how they will then sound.
This is a VERY subjective topic and very hard to analyze as well as document and display the data.. Most of this is done through empirical testing and trial and error and years of building all kinds of different type amps.. It's also a big part of the art and interpenetration of amp building and many other things..Much of it takes years to obtain and most are very protective of this info..It's like you can follow your grandmothers recipes but it's never quite the same when she makes it in her kitchen.. :wink:
IMO..after you do it long enough and find your own unique style of building and tweaking amps you can make anything sound good using any number of different parts and combination of parts,and know exactly how it will sound while your building it..Some things you just cannot get out of the books,experience is the only teacher

As far as general amp theory goes my advice there is SO much great info in the RCA Radio Design Handbook (RDH4) written by the founders of tube amps.. It's The Bible!..read it.... Read it again!

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
armillary

Post by armillary »

Phil_S wrote:Ahem....cough, cough...
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Power-S ... 0956154514
Amazon says it's out of print and they have no copies to sell....
Jana

Post by Jana »

+1 talbany
What?