Thread Locking Compounds

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

steveneddy

Thread Locking Compounds

Post by steveneddy »

You see it in consumer and professional electronics on the nuts and bolts holding PCB's down and other panels together.

I am looking for a product that you can put in the threads and it runs down onto the nut to prevent any vibration loosening from occurring over time.

Loctite is not what I am looking for.

This isn't applied to the threads of the fastener and then the nut screwwed down onto the thread locking material.

After fastening the nut securely you put a drop or two on the threads of the fastener and it runs a little down onto the nut as an extra safety measure.

Anyone know what I'm describing here - and if so where to acquire such material or compound?
Jana

Re: Thread Locking Compounds

Post by Jana »

Paint
What?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Nail varnish.
Loctite and parts suppliers do carry this type of thing but regular cheap nail varnish is suitable and generally available.
Pete
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

steveneddy wrote:You see it in consumer and professional electronics on the nuts and bolts holding PCB's down and other panels together.

I am looking for a product that you can put in the threads and it runs down onto the nut to prevent any vibration loosening from occurring over time.

Loctite is not what I am looking for.

This isn't applied to the threads of the fastener and then the nut screwwed down onto the thread locking material.

After fastening the nut securely you put a drop or two on the threads of the fastener and it runs a little down onto the nut as an extra safety measure.

Anyone know what I'm describing here - and if so where to acquire such material or compound?
Loctite is a brand and is what you want. I use Loctite 222 (purple band) for #4 through #8, anything bigger I usually will use the blue, 217 I think.

Marshall used Glyptal insulating varnish.

TM
potatofarmer

Post by potatofarmer »

steveneddy wrote: Loctite is not what I am looking for.
Are you sure? It seems like blue loctite is really the best solution. Adhesives are much more effective at the interface of the two surfaces instead of above and around the interface. Wood glue, for example, works great inside a joint. Applied outside the joint, not so much.

Apparently it's called "locking patch": http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=130560

And Vibra-Tite looks like one brand you should be able to find in small quantities. This might be a winner: http://www.vibra-tite.com/products/vibr ... hreadmate/
billyz

Post by billyz »

I use blue threadlock on every nut and bolt, from 4/40 up thru 10/24. Usually on top after the nut. The generic works fine.
pops

Post by pops »

I use loctite on the Harley, nail polish on screws in an amp.
The world is a better place just for your smile.
JoeCon

Post by JoeCon »

A minority again...
I use Vibratite on screws and boy it works nice....
In theory, theory is the same as practice. In practice it's different.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

JoeCon wrote:A minority again...
I use Vibratite on screws and boy it works nice....
Yep, ND Industries Vibra Tite 3 as a thread locker works well. It is not the lacquer that is "painted on" that the OP requested though.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I haven't used any type of thread sealing product in my electronic projects, but I do use a wicking type loctite on some firearm fasteners. It is #290 green, (also packaged, and sold as guntite). It is easily removed, and doesn't seem to get as hard as the (higher strength) red, or blue.
I have also used nail polish in the past with good results. I don't know if anyone's done any tests to determine which colors produce the best tone though.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Nail polish. That's an awesome idea, because I live with a 16-year-old girl. Mmmmm.....sparkles....
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Loctite is good but pricey. There are other equivalent thread-lock compounds. I just grab cheap stuff from the local $2 emporium
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

I use 271 on stuff that i can apply beforehand.

There is a Loctite product for locking already assembled parts.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
drew

Post by drew »

Bill Moore wrote:I haven't used any type of thread sealing product in my electronic projects, but I do use a wicking type loctite on some firearm fasteners. It is #290 green, (also packaged, and sold as guntite). It is easily removed, and doesn't seem to get as hard as the (higher strength) red, or blue.
The green Loctite package says that you need to use "localized heat" to disassemble parts.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The loctite product is 7400 Varnistop, cat no. 27950.