relay power supply question

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tonegeek

relay power supply question

Post by Tonegeek »

Using Duncans PS designer, i built a simple full wave PS, containing 1 12.6v tranny with Center tap, 2 diodes, and 1 3300 uf cap. It only measures about 9.1 volts DC with no load. I expected it to be over 12 V DC. What did I do wrong? I checked the diodes, AC sec. volts (14.4) and swapped caps. Will a bridge recto give me higher volts than the 2 diode arrangement?
thanks
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
Bob-I

Re: relay power supply question

Post by Bob-I »

Tonegeek wrote:Using Duncans PS designer, i built a simple full wave PS, containing 1 12.6v tranny with Center tap, 2 diodes, and 1 3300 uf cap. It only measures about 9.1 volts DC with no load. I expected it to be over 12 V DC. What did I do wrong? I checked the diodes, AC sec. volts (14.4) and swapped caps. Will a bridge recto give me higher volts than the 2 diode arrangement?
thanks
It shouldn't. I don't know what's wrong but that just doesn't make since. You should be seeing closer to 14V, the PS designer is usually very accurate.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Do you have your diodes wired for half or full wave? (Maybe post a drawing.)
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

Bob-I wrote:You should be seeing closer to 14V, the PS designer is usually very accurate.
I agree. I even thought my meter was busted, but it read 8.9 volts on a 9 volt battery so I figured it is OK. Here's the schematic. BTW, the relays all work with this voltage (LED's are a little dim but useable). but I am afraid that with a cable run to the footswitch it will drop enough voltage that the relay wont work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitcher Amplification
oldhousescott

Post by oldhousescott »

Sounds about right. 12.6VAC center-tapped is 6.3VAC per winding to ground or about 9V P-P. Throw away a volt for diode drop and, depending on wall voltage, you should be around 8 to 9 VDC. If you used a bridge rectifier setup you would get around 17 to 18VDC. If you do switch to a bridge, you may want to go ahead and add a 7812 regulator.
"We put a little quality in everything we build..."
<><
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

oldhousescott wrote:Sounds about right. 12.6VAC center-tapped is 6.3VAC per winding to ground or about 9V P-P.
Maybe I am not using the Duncan designer correctly because I get almost the same value whether I am using a bridge or full wave rectifier.

Here is a good tutorial on PS design which sort of validates what you are saying: http://my.integritynet.com.au/purdic/power1.html. I read somewhere else that fullwave and bridge rectification produce the same voltage which I now suspect, is an incorrect statement.

I shall prototype a bridge tonight and see what that does for me. I have a 12V zener if I need to bring it down. BTW, I chose the relay based on it's coil resistance because for one it is a low power consumer and two I can directly run an LED indicator in series with no current limiting resistor. Only drawback is these things are tiny, but I came up with an elegant (although labor intensive) solution for integrating them in a tube design and will post a pic sometime for all to see.
thanks,
whit
Pitcher Amplification
oldhousescott

Post by oldhousescott »

I read somewhere else that fullwave and bridge rectification produce the same voltage which I now suspect, is an incorrect statement.
Not so much incorrect as incomplete. PT secondaries designed to feed a full-wave rectifier will generally be center-tapped with each winding having the desired AC voltage. Across the full winding you will have double the AC voltage. PT secondaries designed to feed a full-wave bridge rectifier will generally have no center-tap and the full winding will have the desired AC voltage.

In your case, if you lift the center-tap ground and then feed the AC into a full-wave bridge rectifier you should get about 18 VDC.
"We put a little quality in everything we build..."
<><
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

oldhousescott wrote: PT secondaries designed to feed a full-wave rectifier will generally be center-tapped with each winding having the desired AC voltage. Across the full winding you will have double the AC voltage. PT secondaries designed to feed a full-wave bridge rectifier will generally have no center-tap and the full winding will have the desired AC voltage.
That clears up the mystery with Duncans PS designer. When I went back and put in my tranny as 6.3v (instead of 12.6) it gave me a reading more like what I am seeing on my PS. I just need to add a couple of diodes and the appropriate limiting resistance and the 12v zener and will be good to go. Thanks much! I should be able to cruise on my build over the weekend, having solved this issue.
whit
Pitcher Amplification