New amp builder website up and running

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

oldepicker

New amp builder website up and running

Post by oldepicker »

Greetings all! I just wanted to let everyone know about my new website for my amp building and vintage amp restoration and service business known as Ye Olde Tone Shoppe. I've been servicing and restoring vintage guitar amps for nearly 20 years, and have been building them for over 10 years. My amps are called ROYALTONE amps. After years of low key local word of mouth business, I am preparing to expand that scope, and have finally joined the 21st century and set up a website for my amp building endeavors. Please check out my new website if you are interested in having a custom vintage style guitar amplifier built to your specifications. I do many styles of builds from simple 5w Champ type Tweed amps, all the way to 100W Dumble-style amps. The website is: www.royaltoneamps.com
Thanks ... Shawn

I'm not trying to break any rules, just trying to get the word out. I am always willing to help any other builders with any problems or issues they may have with their own builds... thanks again!
I'm STILL too loud???
xtian

Re: New amp builder website up and running

Post by xtian »

Wow, man, I usually don't comment when people post work that's just so-so, but I have to say, your web site is enough to turn anyone off that visits. You say you're trying to take your biz to the next level, but the image your site projects is, "Stuck in the Internet of the early 90s, and not willing to spend money on a decent web designer."

Your work looks decent, but the photos take forever to load and are blurry to boot.

My advice is, throw up an "under construction" note and don't let anyone else see this web site. Sorry!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I actually thought the website was fine. Thanks for sharing the link.

It was a basic no frills website that answered my questions. Looks like very reasonable prices on your builds.

IF you add something, I think soundclips would be good.

xtian, not sure why you didn't PM him your comments?

With respect, 10thtx
Structo

Post by Structo »

I question the use of Brown Note D'lite chassis for your own amps.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK PLEASE.

JOHN
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Conrgratulations on getting your site up and running. I agree that clips would be nice. I also agree that using the Brown Note chassis raises some concerns. It's good to put the word out, but I don't think you'll gain much business from this crowd. Many guys here are already doing what you are now starting to do. This is not a technical discussion unless you want to make it one by actually discussing technical details. This should be in the garage talk section, IMO.

The "page 1", "page 2" links are not descriptive, IMO. They feel lazy. You may want to use a better descriptor to give the user some idea about what kind of information might be found under the links. I would suggest you visit some websites that you like and really take note of how they are put together. I must say that as a prospective customer, I would be nervous that your lack of attention to detail on your website may also translate to lack of attention to detail in your amps. That may or may not be accurate, but it is a fair assessment and that's not where I would be interested in spending my money.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Shawn, you will find a tough crowd here. Just some constructive criticism here; I don't mind the website, but wire nuts and the flying components in proximity to those Auricaps in picture 059 raises some eyebrows with build craftmanship. Personally, I would remove that picture and redo the website without all the caps, as it makes the text harder to read.

good luck

Mike
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

oldepicker wrote: ... The website is: www.royaltoneamps.com
Thanks ...
I'm at work, but I got this message when the site was blocked:

"Security risk blocked for your protection

Reason:

This Websense category is filtered: Potentially Damaging Content. Sites in this category may pose a security threat to network resources or private information, and are blocked by your organization.

URL:

http://www.royaltoneamps.com/"

reddog
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

rdjones wrote:
oldepicker wrote: ... The website is: www.royaltoneamps.com
Thanks ...
I'm at work, but I got this message when the site was blocked:
"Security risk blocked for your protection
This is happening because the link appears on TAG. TAG is presently blacklisted. You can ignore the warning at your own peril, which I have done without a problem. I've been warned/blocked from url's that I know are OK. I am sure the mods must be working on it. Getting removed from the blacklist isn't easy. Once tarnished, it gets almost viral.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

ToneMerc wrote:...wire nuts and the flying components in proximity to those Auricaps in picture 059 raises some eyebrows...
Yes, tough crowd here, but IMO, this picture speaks volumes about craftsmanship and know-how. You should expect an experienced builder to be critical of this sort of thing. If your intent is to prove you used Auricaps, get the writing on the caps in focus and somehow anchor the flying leads and resistor.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Dude you guys are harsh!! I hope you like my website!

Concord NH baby!!! I'm from New London NH!! Great to see some more action in New England!

I have an in house marketing and web designer, if you wanted to talk to her she could help you with your web design, a logo, and most importantly goggle hits. I get TONS of business from Google searches.

Congrats on the business! Remember - stress the features and benefits of your products before pricing. Price doesn't matter as much as you think.

Who's building your cabs? I have a full cabinet shop in house as well....
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

Cantplay wrote:TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK PLEASE.

JOHN
Forget the caps lock, if there is exposed high voltage on top of the chassis of that 'Express' I'd look into getting a pan over that first.

Safety First

rd
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Just my opinion which doesn't mean much I know.

I really doubt the guy is using BN chassis for his builds, that was a protype photo, they all were! Besides no one can get Dlite or BN chassis or kits anymore.

All the photos are past protype photos and there are no photos of current production models.

I have a feeling kits from various brands are used in the final product.

Glad the OP is having a go at building in this crazy musical instrument industry, it isn't easy competing.

Mark
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

the blurry pics should be removed. that alone will let people know of the build quality they can expect.
briane

Post by briane »

I hope you like my website!
I should remind people -

Its your job to do your best. if you just want to make someone else not complain then your not doing your best.

Only the best succeed.

Congrats on the business, however - a business doesnt show prototypes - it displays its models for sale. That makes it look very hobbyist.

One thing I can tell you from experience - customers dont buy ptototypes, they buy tested and well designed models.

BTW - most of us for have been doing this as long as you - it aint that hard if you have the mind - you just have to be breathing.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds