New Creamback

Post by Cantplay »

http://celestion.com/product/123/g12m65_creamback/

Just saw this. Anyone try them yet?

John
rp

Re: New Creamback

Post by rp »

Cool speaker, thanks for the update. Know if it's PRC or UK?

And, I wonder:

30 years from now when Celestion reissues a 2000 reissue Greenback will the universe fold-in on itself?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-dep ... of-pa,873/
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

YES! Excellent! (The article, not the speaker)

I have heard good things about them from people I don't know or trust though.
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

I'm guessing that since the label doesn't day Ipswich England that its PRC.

John.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

Off topic, but The Onion hit a home run on that one!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The George Lynch speaker is 50w and sounds great. 8ohm only. I can attest to that one out of all the new ones. It sounds like a 20 meets an 800 era 65. Inexpensive as well, by comparison at least to the British made speakers.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

rp wrote:Know if it's PRC or UK?
I feel obligated to ask, as I am uniformed on this. I am told the Chinese are experts at building things to whatever spec is provided, cheap or expensive. What is the concern about PRC manufacture (politics aside, please)? As an example, we see very elegant and well produced Apple products that originate in PRC (and they arrive 2 days after the order date -- faster than domestic postal service.)
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Yes, they are quite adept at visually copying things.

They also have an obsession with cheating on formulation of anything.

Melamine in powdered milk, cardboard in dumplings, toxic sheetrock, etc.

This is why simple tools like hammer, drill bits, or sockets made there are throw away tools.

I use a lot of brass bar stock, and brass fittings in my business. I now have to check incoming orders with a magnet, because brass from China has a few % of iron added.

John
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Anyone find it funny how Hendrix used just about everything? EH claimed he used a Big Muff on Electric Ladyland. Various claims of G12H, G12M, JBL-D120 speakers in his Marshall cabs. Someone claims he replaced his EL34's with 6550's.

I hear he was a big fan of Super Poligrip.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
markr14850

Post by markr14850 »

LeftyStrat wrote:I hear he was a big fan of Super Poligrip.
I think he just used regular Paligap.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

markr14850 wrote:
LeftyStrat wrote:I hear he was a big fan of Super Poligrip.
I think he just used regular Paligap.
:D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Trace

Post by Trace »

I have (2) and they sound great! I believe they will sell for around the same price as a vintage 30

Have a great weekend;
Trace
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

Cantplay wrote:http://celestion.com/product/123/g12m65_creamback/

Just saw this. Anyone try them yet?

John
Hi,

"It was quickly adopted by players like Hendrix, Clapton, Beck and Page, who typified the louder and more aggressive blues rock playing styles that came to characterize that era."

In other words it wasn't really used by Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, and Page, only players who were similar to them?

Rumor has it's made in China, YMMV.

The speakers may sound good or not, but what fallows is a commentary on advertising.

http://areyouexperienced.net/celestion_ ... eakers.htm

"These are 2 like new Celestion G12C Greenback speakers rated at 25 watts @ 16 Ohms each for a total of 50 watts, wired in series for 8 Ohms. They were pulled from a new MARSHALL 425B cabinet, tested to ensure they worked. These are the re-engineered Hendrix-style version of the G12M Greenbacks made for the new Jimi Hendrix Marshall JH100 Amplifier Stack and the new Marshall Vintage Modern Series amplifiers,..."

(Well Janie Hendrix, the adopted step sister of Jimi Hendrix got another licensing deal. Does anyone remember the one with Gibson to make Strat like guitars which was 86'd after bad consumer response to early publicity?)

First thing, there is no way to ever know for sure what where in Jimi's cabs unless some one with one of Hendrix cabs opens it up and tells us which I have never heard off happening. Certainly, no one did so back in the day.

The speaker's range is from 75Hz, Hendrix from my sources used 55Hz "bass" speakers in in his Cabs.

"Marshall used the ceramic G12M-30 - also called Greenbacks, but rumor will know that Jimi always changed the speaker configuration to G12H-30 which at that time were used in bass cabs."

".....both of which utilize the warm sounding KT66 power tubes as used by Jimi at Monterey and on many of his early recordings. "

Hendrix recorded some of his earliest Experience recordings (singles) on a Fender Twin.

Best Regards,

Steve

[/i]
Last edited by renshen1957 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

He didn't keep cabinets long enough to do anything but replace blowups. After the mod.1982 cab was introduced, any rockstar got those instead of 1960 for stage use. Some of the stuff claimed is impossible because of time period, and other things I never heard of until last week.

Jimi Hendrix made that sound for a lack of straight technique and a ton of feel. When I hear someone cop Hendrix more times than not, way more, it sounds like smooth jazz because there are too many notes, the chords sustain, and the attitude tastes like cornflowers.

He wasn't a great guitar player. He was a great stage actor. Fearless.

Hendrix rant over. heh oh, and Super Reverb.
rogb

Post by rogb »

Reeltarded wrote:He didn't keep cabinets long enough to do anything but replace blowups. After the mod.1982 cab was introduced, any rockstar got those instead of 1960 for stage use. Some of the stuff claimed is impossible because of time period, and other things I never heard of until last week.

Jimi Hendrix made that sound for a lack of straight technique and a ton of feel. When I hear someone cop Hendrix more times than not, way more, it sounds like smooth jazz because there are too many notes, the chords sustain, and the attitude tastes like cornflowers.

He wasn't a great guitar player. He was a great stage actor. Fearless.

Hendrix rant over. heh oh, and Super Reverb.
What complete rubbish, do you expect people to take you seriously after statements like that, how do you come that conclusion, because something must be shot, either your ears or brain or both.
Cut the trolling and stick to amps.