Anyone ordered directly from Sozo?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guitarchuck

Re: Anyone ordered directly from Sozo?

Post by guitarchuck »

I have the same problem with them. I ordered the SoZo blue caps on March 31. On April 6, I emailed to check on my order. No response. On my 3rd email I received this response:

As per our website, the .1’s are on back order. I will let you know when your order ships.
Thank you,
Lisa

The website then said they were on backorder until 4/25. Needless to say that date has come and gone. I have emailed numerous times and no response. I have even emailed them links to numerous forums where people are complaining about them ignoring their customers. I even sent an email asking them if they are still in business no response. They have offically lost my business, I filed a report with my credit card today. I will order Mallory 150's instead of the Sozo's. I really doubt the Sozo's would sound that much better anyway. In fact I don't know why I ever thought about paying the crazy price they were asking for them anyway. This is no way for a company to conduct business. The very least they could do is update the backorder status on their website. I really wonder what is going on with this company!
Markusv

Post by Markusv »

OK
So today at least Lisa's voice mail box was not full
Looks like she cleared a few voice mails at least
Sent my 3rd email and waiting

Markus
.........Now where did I put it?
Rich M

Post by Rich M »

I don't get it. I've got original mustard 0.1's on ebay for $11 ea and nobody wants them and everybody's struggling to pay $7 for a copy :(
Markusv

Post by Markusv »

Honestly- I love the product

I have a few in a Traynor and I have used them in an 18 watt circuits as well as others
Problem is - I got them as a deal in a trade and never bought new
Actually A/B'd them with some vintage mustards and heard no major difference. Perhaps a little less mellow

They did open my amps up considerably though, -at least to my ears

Markus
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

Rich M wrote:I don't get it. I've got original mustard 0.1's on ebay for $11 ea and nobody wants them and everybody's struggling to pay $7 for a copy :(
you can get blue astrons for less then a dollar too.

beats me.

7 bucks for a true to spec copy of a cap that wasn't that great in the first place :shrug:
Rich M

Post by Rich M »

diagrammatiks wrote: 7 bucks for a true to spec copy of a cap that wasn't that great in the first place :shrug:
What don't you like about mustards?

Are the blue Astrons a new capacitor? Where can you get them?
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

mustards are fine caps. they are just coupling quality caps from the way back days.

blue astrons are blue astrons. they are the caps that the blue sozos are copies of.

micamold made them too. so did ajax and aervox.

[img:800:415]http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!Bve-6Ig!2k~$(KGrHqYOKiYEvv+I+Eq8BMEyq42,Zw~~_3.JPG[/img]

[img:300:247]http://i.ebayimg.com/21/!B0E63Z!!2k~$(KGrHqF,!iUEw5jcrqRWBMYv6j,6Sw~~_35.JPG[/img]

[img:300:255]http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!Bj(pTn!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEsn-2BmjzBLTS!!HvqQ~~_35.JPG[/img]

there was a time when most of the usa made caps looked like that and fender used a ton of them in their amps.

I've seen a bunch for sale around but they are rated for 400vdc so I've never bothered but huge lots of them still do exist.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

diagrammatiks wrote:
Rich M wrote:I don't get it. I've got original mustard 0.1's on ebay for $11 ea and nobody wants them and everybody's struggling to pay $7 for a copy :(
you can get blue astrons for less then a dollar too.

beats me.

7 bucks for a true to spec copy of a cap that wasn't that great in the first place :shrug:
OK, I'll bite, where can you get original astrons for $1?
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

a whole lot of patience.

I don't have any of the blues but I've got a few of the higher voltage yellows and non fender amp value caps.

with the market the way it is people realize that if they put for fender guitar amp in the title it automatically becomes a 40 dollar auction instead of a 5 dollar auction...

but every once in a while you'll get lucky and someone will be cleaning out a store or an estate sale and don't want to bother cataloging every single thing in a box.

here's a ton of them for around 2 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-AJAX-Blue-Mo ... _500wt_900

but swap meets, ebay, etc.

people really want the good nos blue astrons lately though so that's been drying up a little but every once in a while something good comes up.

that being said, fender did use a lot of other caps too, good-all, trw etc etc.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

So basically, if your lucky and feel like sitting on your hands instead of building amps, you *might* find some for less than a dollar...maybe even in ratings usable for your amp!

Yeah, sounds like it would make more sense to just pay $7 and have it in a couple weeks. :roll:
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

well ok. that's for you to decide.

I'm just saying if you wanted real vintage it's available.

and if you wanted to spend seven bucks on something that was close to vintage that's possible too.

although there are a lot of caps available now for 7 bucks. if you wanted vintage spec there are options.

so if you're in a hurry go for it!

although...in the op's case it doesn't seem like time's really working out for sozo right now huh.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Maybe the Sozo guys should go on Shark Tank and get a loan.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Markusv

Post by Markusv »

In fairness to them

Spoke with Lisa today
Nice gal- she explained that there is a delay in the film foil they use and that caused the backlog
They are catching up as we speak and shipping as fast as possible

I asked her to consider putting a notice on the site to explain- just to keep the trust of customers

I hate to see a good mom 'n pop operation suffer
They make an honest living from what it seems and the product is made with pride and attention to detail

Markus V
paulster

Post by paulster »

That's all they've needed to do, say to customers we've got a problem with the supplier, etc. and keep them informed.

Now they've been slammed left, right and centre on TGP (quite rightly) and it'll hurt their business as a consequence as people will be wary of ordering from them.
jmohr58

Post by jmohr58 »

Just got an email notification on a SOZO order I had placed directly with SOZO that my order is shipping out today.
Hope others are getting simular notifcations.
Jerry