Faceplate making material

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davent

Re: Faceplate making material

Post by davent »

Thanks, that one's easy to get to, nice and close to Queen.

dave
KindaFuzzy

Post by KindaFuzzy »

on a rack at the top of the stairs on the second floor, hang a left.
KindaFuzzy

Post by KindaFuzzy »

Man that Safmat stuff works great, after a couple of thick coats of clear it looks great. Just wish I could get 18" lengths to do a whole faceplate, this one was two pieces:

[img:500:375]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5298/544 ... a3f2db.jpg[/img]

[img:500:375]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5300/544 ... 10a192.jpg[/img]
Structo

Post by Structo »

Looks good!
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Rich M

Post by Rich M »

[img:2896:1236]http://webpages.charter.net/rmweb/Parts ... panels.jpg[/img]

I had the lettering printed in reverse on 0.040" PETG and shoot the gold over that.

I tried prototyping with decal film but I had issues with decal stretch when I tried to smooth out the air bubbles, poor adhesion, esp around edges or drilled holes and finally gave up and had them screen printed.

I hope to get back to the decal method someday as it would make one-offs possible.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Those look nice but isn't .040" pretty thin and delicate?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Rich M

Post by Rich M »

No, it is plenty strong and provides adequate" meat for alpha pots, if needed. The originals are similar in thickness <0.062" IIRC and, of course, made a acrylic which is a much more brittle material.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Rich M wrote:[img:2896:1236]http://webpages.charter.net/rmweb/Parts ... panels.jpg[/img]

I had the lettering printed in reverse on 0.040" PETG and shoot the gold over that.

I tried prototyping with decal film but I had issues with decal stretch when I tried to smooth out the air bubbles, poor adhesion, esp around edges or drilled holes and finally gave up and had them screen printed.

I hope to get back to the decal method someday as it would make one-offs possible.
Rich, you just need to find the time to get around to the backplates. :)

Mike
Last edited by ToneMerc on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

I think I'm about ready to make a faceplate and backplate. Where did you print these PETG sheets? Did you have this done at Fedex Kinkos? Did they supply the sheets to you?

I saw some art shops sell pre-cut PETG sheets but didn't do printing.
Rich M

Post by Rich M »

I had them screen printed by a print shop. I should warn you the setup costs were prohibitive unless you printed ~100 sheets, which provides 400 panels.
rogb

Post by rogb »

JamesHealey wrote:I get my panels made on traffolite by the same company hiwatt use and they're very well priced!

They also do reversed engraved stuff that is really smart looking!
Anyone with any ideas on what the company Hiwatt use is called?

Cheers

Rog
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Man, i just checked out amplates.... $80 for a faceplate! That's 25% of the cost for the whole amp. Can't justify that for just a piece of alumium. That is sad to see, as i have a bunch of amps ready for faceplates....sigh.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

FunkyE9th wrote:I've been thinking of trying this (http://www.pulsarprofx.com/DecalPRO/index.html). I think you should try it and let me know how it goes. :)
I recently got this kit for some pedals I am making. I'll report back once I get to using it.
---------
Bryan
husky

Post by husky »

Any laser place can back etch Plexi for you with Corel artwork and then you just paint the back whatever color you want. I'll consider cutting and etching for anyone as long as it is in Corel, all fonts broken down in to curves so I dont need to think about fonts and all cuts done in a different RGB color than the text and graphics. I usually have Gold black and silver in stock. No adhesive sprays and it will never rub or scratch off since it is not on the surface
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

sonicmojo wrote:
FunkyE9th wrote:I've been thinking of trying this (http://www.pulsarprofx.com/DecalPRO/index.html). I think you should try it and let me know how it goes. :)
I recently got this kit for some pedals I am making. I'll report back once I get to using it.
I got around to using my Pulsar Pro FX kit. After some trial and error, I managed to get a decent result for my pedal. You can use the different "foils" to make the graphics any color you want, including metallic colors. This method is not for the impatient since there are several precise steps and you will need to make multiple labels to cover an amplifier faceplate and be very careful with alignment. Smaller labels are easier to work with. In the case of my pedal, I used three separate labels for each row of graphics and did it with the knobs and switches still on it! For single color labels you need a B&W laser printer, GBC laminator, heat gun, and time......

Frank Miller of PulsarFXPro also helped me by phone when I had a question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------
Bryan