Odd type of turret

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gary sanders

Odd type of turret

Post by gary sanders »

Anyone ever built a board with turrets like this?Are they OK to use for a main board?I got a jar full of them at a yard sale for change in my pocket.Hope theyre useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Odd type of turret

Post by xtian »

Neat. Looks like they can be mounted to the chassis. Did you check if the turret is isolated from the bolt?
gary sanders

Post by gary sanders »

Yes I actually cut one in half.Its molded to the plastic with almost 1/4 inch in between the mounting threads.Going to build a board with them and just bolt it right to it with lock washers.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

I have a bunch of turrents kinda like this, but they are gold embedded in ceramic. I built an amp with them recently and they worked very well. I just drilled out some blank FR4 and mounted them up with screws. The screws were short enough that the turrets all stayed insulated from the metal base, even with the 1/2" clean ace I spaced them at. I'll charge my camera and take some pictures, I've got a few different types of gold turrets that I've been using lately with much success.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Those kind of turrets are/were quite common in high grade electronics for mounting off-board components, cable connects etc. etc. Hand assembly is still often found in largers systems with low production rate.
I work in telemetry systems and sounding rocket electronics, and these have always been around....still are....
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

I'd be awfully worried about melting the plastic. A solid mechanical connection between component and turret will be essential, so that the solder is a mere stabilizer.

A bit of practice before committing to the actual work would be a good idea.

Hope this helps!
xtian

Post by xtian »

That's a good point. Probably a bad idea to use these for 2/5/10-watt resistors...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I used the NOS version from Angela for 5w resistors and I didn't find any problems with them.

Not sure if mine are the same type of material.

Also saw an impressive amp that used the same one's shown in post for turrets on his board.
David Root

Post by David Root »

They're called stand-off terminals, threaded base type, and have been around since dirt was rocks. They are indispensable! Especially in prototypes where you are "feeling your way" in the layout.

I have a couple of different sizes, they are really useful and I don't think I have ever built an amp without one or two of them.

A few years ago I bought 100 from (I think) Surplus Sales of Nebraska, still have quite a few left. That is a good site BTW, and not just for these items.
TheGimp

Post by TheGimp »

The brown or black Bakelite ones work almost as well as the ceramic ones. I saw a lot of both in NAVY equipment years ago. I guess it depends on which type of plastic is used in the insulator as to how well they will hold up. Try melting one and see.
David Root

Post by David Root »

I have Teflon and DAP types. Teflon don't melt, and I have not had any problems with DAP (Di-Allyl Phthalate) either. Bakelite should be OK too. Other types, maybe, maybe not.

You would think they should all be pretty much heatproof, given what they are designed for.
Rich M

Post by Rich M »

I have some. They are useful where you need an extra tie point or two and don't want to add a terminal strip. I think I've used them to add PPIMV to PCB Marshalls to standoff the PI caps on the end with the pot.
gary sanders

Post by gary sanders »

TheGimp wrote:The brown or black Bakelite ones work almost as well as the ceramic ones. I saw a lot of both in NAVY equipment years ago. I guess it depends on which type of plastic is used in the insulator as to how well they will hold up. Try melting one and see.
Did that.I have a 30watt soldering iron and it was about 7-8 seconds before it started to bubble,not melt.kind of like when a CF resistor gets too hot.I dont think anything in the amp is going to get that hot,I hope...but thats what bulb limiters are for. :D
Kagliostro

Post by Kagliostro »

Look to Pete Millet projects

http://www.pmillett.com/elinear.htm

http://www.pmillett.com/uc300b.htm

he used something very similar to that "turrets"

Kagliostro
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Here are all of the different turrets I have:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.