Tube testing a 6BQ5

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

passfan

Tube testing a 6BQ5

Post by passfan »

I am trying to test 6BQ5's on my Eico 628 tester and the tube chart shows three groups of 2 levers each being moved independantly. Do I put them all in the position called for in the tube chart and conduct my test or are there different stages of testing for a pentode. The chart shows pins (1-2),(6-9),and (7-8) up and 3-4 down. In this position if I hit my merit button to test I get a reading. If i move the groups in parentheses on some I get a good reading on others I don't . I just don't know what I'm doing testing a pentode.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
selloutrr

Re: Tube testing a 6BQ5

Post by selloutrr »

Sorry I'm not familiar with that tester.
Assuming you don't have the owners manual
Have you tried looking for it online?
It should walk you threw and answer any questions you might have.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Here's the instructions for the 625 which should be similar:

http://bama.edebris.com/download/eico/625/625.pdf
"The blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits." - Willie Dixon
passfan

Post by passfan »

Well I have the manuals and tube guides, everything. It lists those three pairs being up and the one pair being down. Then it says the ones in parentheses should be moved together as one. When you guys test pentodes do you have to independantly check each grid or do you take one shot and log the reading ?
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
billyz

Post by billyz »

All of the tube testers I have ever used tested for shorts then test for emmissions or better Transconductance. Looking at the manual for the 625 I would say set the levers and test the Merit of the tube( emissions) . The manual cautions against moving levers if a short is found as it may cause damage to the tester. I find testers better for finding shorted tubes before I put them in a amp . Or finding a dead filament etc. Emmissions is not really gonna tell you much in real life, unless it is near dead.
8)