A softer rectifier...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dehughes

A softer rectifier...

Post by dehughes »

Hello again,

I have GZ34s, I have 5V4s, I have 5Y3s.....now is there a rectifier that sits somewhere between a 5Y3 and a 5V4, that is interchangeable with these types? That is, I don't want to push my tranny's heater winding any harder that these tubes would already (trying to keep things around 2.0 amps...), so no 5U4s, etc...

Would a 5R4 work out? The amp in question is an AC30-ish creation with MM trannies....plus, I'd like to have some lower output recto options around anyway.

Thanks!
Tempus edax rerum
JimiB

Re: A softer rectifier...

Post by JimiB »

5R4 is a GZ34
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

The 5R4 will drop a lot more voltage than the 5AR4 and uses 2.0 amps. Phil
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

The 5R4 is a different tube entirely from the GZ34 (5AR4), if my information is correct.

So would a 5R4 be in between a 5AR4 and a 5Y3 in terms of voltage drop/sag/softness, etc.? Would a 5R4 be a drop-in replacement with these other types, or would I have to re-wire the recto socket?

Thanks!

david
Tempus edax rerum
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

As far as I know the pin out is the same, I've never used one so I couldn't say where it falls between a 5AR4 an a 5Y3. They are much cheaper than 5AR4's though for NOS tubes. Phil
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Nice. So, according to this data, a 5R4 is acually a softer tube than a 5Y3, correct?
Tempus edax rerum
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

I keep hoping that someone that has tried a 5R4 will respond to this. If I have time tomorrow I'll throw one in my AC-30 and report back, having time is the key. Phil
Rattlecat

Post by Rattlecat »

One of the things also to keep an eye on is the max input capacitance for the rectifier tube... e.g. if you have a capacitor can right after the rectifier, there are limits on how big it can be. I am not an expert on the subject, but know enough to be leary about this. The 5r4gya seems very low at 4uf, but this is also at 750 volts ( typical opertation ). I'm not sure how much room there is to play with if you use less voltage. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this.
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Rattlecat wrote:One of the things also to keep an eye on is the max input capacitance for the rectifier tube... e.g. if you have a capacitor can right after the rectifier, there are limits on how big it can be. I am not an expert on the subject, but know enough to be leary about this. The 5r4gya seems very low at 4uf, but this is also at 750 volts ( typical opertation ). I'm not sure how much room there is to play with if you use less voltage. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this.
I was told that the 5R4GA can handle an initial electrolytic capacitor that is 20uf or LESS, so you'd not be albe to use this recto in a DC30, King Royale, or any other amp that runs about 33uf right off the bat. This is fine, as I'm running a 16uf cap as my first one off the recto, so a 5R4 should be just fine.
Tempus edax rerum