Chassis reconditioning

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sliberty

Chassis reconditioning

Post by sliberty »

I am doing a Trainwreck Express build into a salvaged chassis, and need some advice.

The chassis has a little rust. So I plan to wire brush the rusty spots clean. I thought about spraying the chassis with a fresh hammertone coat afterwards, but then wondered about conductivity for grounding. So what (if any) are the issues here, and what are you recommendations?

Thanks,
Steve
UR12

Re: Chassis reconditioning

Post by UR12 »

Get yourself some of those small round stickers at Office depot or somewhere. Figure out where all your grounds need to be and put a sticker there before painting. Don't forget the pot shafts and jacks. After the paint dries peel the stickers off and you have a good bare metal area to ground to.

Just my 2 cents
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Steve, If you have access to a place that does Glass beading, you can usually have it done for about $5-10. That will give you a nice clean finish to start with. Then use Dana's advice and buy the circle sticky's.

Allyn
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

So, what I am taking away from this is that paint will interfere with conductivity, which is why I asked. So, how did Univox do it? The chassis is painted black, inside and out. Special conductive paint?
Omar

Post by Omar »

After painting the chassis you could scrape away ground points like the transformer mounting holes, input and out jacks, etc. I had to deal with this issue with my Express clone because I annodized the chassis. I used a multimeter to confirm connectivity.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I guess with the appropriate planning, I can decide where I will want connectivity, and place a stick there, and scrape anywhere that I forget (there shouldn't be many places to begin with if I do this right).

My other question still stands though - the chassis is currently painted black from the factory. Did they use some sort of conductive paint, or are they depending bolts making contact with the raw metal inside the drilled holes?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Just a guess but I would say that they are planning on star washers to dig through the paint and make the ground. I doubt they are using conductive paint as that would be expensive. Just my 2 cents.