2Watt Sub Miniature Plexi

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: 2Watt Sub Miniature Plexi

Post by Structo »

Thanks for the offer Dana, I appreciate it but my funds are too low at this time.

Thanks for making these kits available to the garage though.

I'll bet it would be a killer recording amp. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dju

Post by dju »

Payment sent!
thanks Dana.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

dju wrote:Payment sent!
thanks Dana.
ill have it ready to ship out in the morning

Thanks
passfan

Post by passfan »

Sucks , I was on the list and have more pressing needs. Whomever gets my kit, enjoy :)
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
UR12

Post by UR12 »

passfan wrote:Sucks , I was on the list and have more pressing needs. Whomever gets my kit, enjoy :)
Thanks for letting me know.
skyclmbr

Chassis bolts

Post by skyclmbr »

I feel dumb for asking this, but what's the preferred method for bolting the chassis to the head cab, since you don't have access to the underside of the chassis after it's in the head cab? The holes are through-drilled...

I recorded 15 minutes of audio with a PRS Mira, Strat, and old Harmony archtop but the file's too large to post so I have to chop it up somehow. Forthcoming, if folks are interested.

Thanks!
Bryan
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/nut_clip.html

This would work in the holes.

John
UR12

Re: Chassis bolts

Post by UR12 »

skyclmbr wrote:I feel dumb for asking this, but what's the preferred method for bolting the chassis to the head cab, since you don't have access to the underside of the chassis after it's in the head cab? The holes are through-drilled...

I recorded 15 minutes of audio with a PRS Mira, Strat, and old Harmony archtop but the file's too large to post so I have to chop it up somehow. Forthcoming, if folks are interested.

Thanks!
Bryan
This is what I use on production models. You can get them at lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1
skyclmbr

Re: Chassis bolts

Post by skyclmbr »

This is what I use on production models. You can get them at lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1
Thanks to both of you! I'll go get some captured nuts like those. Cantplay, not everyone would default to Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, are you a pilot as well?
skyclmbr

Re: Hoooooooooo it makes noise!

Post by skyclmbr »

UR12 wrote:
skyclmbr wrote:Finally got it running!! Thanks for all the help, and thanks for the kit Dana! I haven't gotten to play it much yet but it sounds great so far. Very much a small big amp.
Hey Congrats!!. I'll be looking forward to hear your evaluation. In response to a couple of your posts, the first 100uf cap is actually in the circuit right after the b+ diodes and right before the VVR. This means it has power on it as soon as the power switch is turned on. It will eventually bleed off through the VVR just like the rest of the caps when the power is turned off. This may take a minute. Would be interested in knowing where you biased it at. My voltage measurements with tubes installed have the B+ between 160 and 170vdc. In that range I found that -26 to -28 volts sounds best to me. Would like to hear your thoughts on your biasing
I played around with the bias last night. At around -26 it's a little brittle and harsh for my ears. 30 is pretty round/warm/dull. I personally tend more towards that side, but I like the clarity that comes with the less negative side, so I've left it at about 28 or 29 for right now. I tried to determine whether it'd change the point of distortion much but it didn't seem to have a really big impact, at least to my ears. Sounds great all around though!

This is with a B+ at around 180v
UR12

Post by UR12 »

skyclmbr wrote:
UR12 wrote:
skyclmbr wrote:Finally got it running!! Thanks for all the help, and thanks for the kit Dana! I haven't gotten to play it much yet but it sounds great so far. Very much a small big amp.
Hey Congrats!!. I'll be looking forward to hear your evaluation. In response to a couple of your posts, the first 100uf cap is actually in the circuit right after the b+ diodes and right before the VVR. This means it has power on it as soon as the power switch is turned on. It will eventually bleed off through the VVR just like the rest of the caps when the power is turned off. This may take a minute. Would be interested in knowing where you biased it at. My voltage measurements with tubes installed have the B+ between 160 and 170vdc. In that range I found that -26 to -28 volts sounds best to me. Would like to hear your thoughts on your biasing
I played around with the bias last night. At around -26 it's a little brittle and harsh for my ears. 30 is pretty round/warm/dull. I personally tend more towards that side, but I like the clarity that comes with the less negative side, so I've left it at about 28 or 29 for right now. I tried to determine whether it'd change the point of distortion much but it didn't seem to have a really big impact, at least to my ears. Sounds great all around though!

This is with a B+ at around 180v
That makes since with the B+ around 180v. I would guess that -26v would be on the "biased hot" side of the equation. at 160-65 volts (which i'm getting) a little lower than 30 sounds best to me. Good info!!!!
JazzGuitarGimp

Grommet

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Mouser p/n 836-G1090 rubber split grommet looks like a good fit for the power tranny.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
skyclmbr

Post by skyclmbr »

That makes since with the B+ around 180v. I would guess that -26v would be on the "biased hot" side of the equation. at 160-65 volts (which i'm getting) a little lower than 30 sounds best to me. Good info!!!!
Hey Dana, just FYI after monkeying with the bias again I think I'm happiest around -30v where I started. This time I went a little farther negative and tried -31, -33, and then back up to -26, -30. Also, I think I'm a little above 180v on B+, so with like 184v, I'm at -30v bias.

Thanks, really is a great sounding amp. I'm just finishing the front and back to the head cab, not sure if you know or not but the front plate sticks down about an 1/8" below the front of the chassis, so I ended up using some aluminum stock under the chassic to bring it up enough that I wasn't torquing down on the edge of the front plate.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

skyclmbr wrote:

Hey Dana, just FYI after monkeying with the bias again I think I'm happiest around -30v where I started. This time I went a little farther negative and tried -31, -33, and then back up to -26, -30. Also, I think I'm a little above 180v on B+, so with like 184v, I'm at -30v bias.

Thanks, really is a great sounding amp. I'm just finishing the front and back to the head cab, not sure if you know or not but the front planel sticks down about an 1/8" below the front of the chassis, so I ended up using some aluminum stock under the chassic to bring it up enough that I wasn't torquing down on the edge of the front plate.
That's great to hear. The front planel sticks down below the chassis because of the clips I use to install the chassis to the head box. If I make the front panel flush with the bottom of the chassis, I ended up with about a 1/16 inch gap. The chassis is actually lifted up off of the bottom of the head box because of the clips. Did you have the clips installed? Looking forward to some pics when you get it all done. 8)
UR12

Post by UR12 »

As of today I have shipped out all of the kits. Mario and Darin's went out this morning. I have one left and will be going to my list of alternates to get that one into someones hands. I will contact the lucky alternate by pm shortly. :lol: Once I get through this weekend with my new band (We've been practicing almost every night for the last two weeks to get ready for our first monthly gig) I will have some time to start a Microplpex build and post pics here as I go. Our first gig is this Sat and I hope to be back to a normal life on Sunday :lol: Or at least as normal as my life gets. :wink: