2Watt Sub Miniature Plexi

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cantplay

Re: 2Watt Sub Miniature Plexi

Post by Cantplay »

I'm going to do a more authenticly proportioned case for mine, but dark wood.

I'd like to do some sort of logo in chrome marshall script too, but not 'Marshall' obviously.

What name isn't already taken thats appropriate?

Subplexi? Babyplexi? I think Mini and Micro are taken.

John
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Ok so that is

Skyclimber
Marioverkill
MCK
Cantplay
DJU
Dartanion
Passfan
Yowza
BlindDog
Orleanska

The First kits are now all spoken for. If anyone would like to be put on as an alternate then please let me know.

Yowsa, Until I get the final price on the PCBs from the manufacturer I won't be able to give you a price. These first kits will be sold basically at my cost plus shipping. It also depends on how many parts the person wants ie; just chassis, Trannys, front panel and boards. Or every part to put one together.

For those interested in a head cab they are $80 and I can ship one with your kit. Just need to know if you want the Hall logo for the front or not.
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

picoplex.

and i can probably go for a board, maybe a head.....
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Cantplay wrote:I'm going to do a more authenticly proportioned case for mine, but dark wood.

I'd like to do some sort of logo in chrome marshall script too, but not 'Marshall' obviously.

What name isn't already taken thats appropriate?

Subplexi? Babyplexi? I think Mini and Micro are taken.

John
If you decide to go with my front panel it already has the name Microplex on it.

lastwinj wrote:picoplex.

and i can probably go for a board, maybe a head.....
Hey Jeremy, I'll try and hook ya up.
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

UR12 wrote: If you decide to go with my front panel it already has the name Microplex on it.
I wanted to do a few inches wider on each side like the original proportion.

I would like to see your Microplex logo.

John
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Cantplay wrote:
UR12 wrote: If you decide to go with my front panel it already has the name Microplex on it.
I wanted to do a few inches wider on each side like the original proportion.

I would like to see your Microplex logo.

John
Just check out the pic on page 6. It has MICROPLEX right under the power switch
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Yeah, I'll want to do your front panel, but I'm going to cast a script logo for the front valance of the amp cab. Maybe I didn't say it correctly earlier. I want to do the head cabinet wider, not the front panel.

John
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Cantplay wrote:Yeah, I'll want to do your front panel, but I'm going to cast a script logo for the front valance of the amp cab. Maybe I didn't say it correctly earlier. I want to do the head cabinet wider, not the front panel.

John
Yea that's kind of they way I envisioned your comment. Kind of like a 50 watt smaller chassis Marshall in a bigger 100 watt head cab
MCK

Post by MCK »

Dana, one suggestion if I may is to use thinner plywood for your cab so the thickness is also in proportion to the smaller size. Not only this could look better it also would lead to a lighter end product. Just a thought.
skyclmbr

Microplex

Post by skyclmbr »

Very nice looking cabinets! Not sure if you're keeping track of details like this quite yet but sign me up for one too please, that way I only have to build a matching speaker cab. Are you using Elephant tolex for it?

Also, will you be adding a passive or buffered effects loop? If it's passive, you wouldn't have a rough hack at the input/output impedance of it by any chance would you?

Thanks,
Bryan
UR12

Re: Microplex

Post by UR12 »

skyclmbr wrote:Very nice looking cabinets! Not sure if you're keeping track of details like this quite yet but sign me up for one too please, that way I only have to build a matching speaker cab. Are you using Elephant tolex for it?

Also, will you be adding a passive or buffered effects loop? If it's passive, you wouldn't have a rough hack at the input/output impedance of it by any chance would you?

Thanks,
Bryan
It's going to be passive and I'll have to figure out the impedance and let ya know. I can do the cab in either Elephant or Levant
skyclmbr

Re: Microplex

Post by skyclmbr »

UR12 wrote:
skyclmbr wrote:Very nice looking cabinets! Not sure if you're keeping track of details like this quite yet but sign me up for one too please, that way I only have to build a matching speaker cab. Are you using Elephant tolex for it?

Thanks,
Bryan
It's going to be passive and I'll have to figure out the impedance and let ya know. I can do the cab in either Elephant or Levant
Great, thanks!
dju

Post by dju »

Just bringing this back to the top of the list. Any updates Dana?
MCK

Post by MCK »

Just saw a Lil' Devil built into the new Marshall cosmetic cab on another forum along with a great Express build by Dana. The 'hall' logo designed to look like the tail end of Marshall logo is looking great!!! I love it. Can't wait to have my shot at building the micro-plexi with this new cab & logo.

Here's what was posted on this other forum by the proud new owner

[img:800:600]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/ ... 203800.jpg[/img]
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Ok guys, I am sure you have waited long enough on this project. I finally have the first 12 boards in and there is a couple of mistakes on the board that will be corrected on the next rev. The first problem was that the ground connection "spokes" was left off of the pad for the ground connection on the secondary of the OT. No big deal just strip the lead long enough to bridge between the pad and the ground plane and the other problem was that the bass control came out wired backwards. :oops: I am moding the boards with a cut trace and a jumper to fix the bass control wiring. The location of the pots on the board are just very slightly off to line up with the holes in the chassis but I have made them work on the prototype with no problems. Other than that they work flawlessly. I will be contacting the guys that stated they wanted one of the beta kits and if these small problems with the boards are going to be a problem for you then I understand and will offer them to others on the list. I have faceplates designed and can supply chassis, boards and face plates. The power supply boards will be in in 3 weeks and I can ship those when they come in or I can supply a "Home made" PS board if you are in a Hurry. I am also low on transformers and have more on order that will be in by the end of the month . The Hammonds are an alternative and should fit on the boards if you want to order your own. I also need to get a parts list and build manual put together but I won't spend a lot of time writing a manual like I did for the Lil Devil as I don't plan to sell any more kits once the beta testors are finished. So I will put together a price on the components I have for you guys who want to be the first kids on the block to have one.

I appreciate everyone hanging in there with me on this build as it has taken a very very long time to get the amp tweeked and sounding the way I wanted. There are also a couple of mods that can be added to the amp for channel switching and even an effects loop. I decided to not incorporate them into the main board so there can be a base model and then add features later on. The beta kit will only be the amp without any mods available for it at this time. We can test the mods seperately once every one gets there base model up and running. I will get everyone a pricelist on the parts very soon so you can get started. I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance, probably late this evening. What parts would most of you guys want to see in the kit. I thought about a bare bones, (Chassis, Boards, Front panel and maybe Trannies) to start.