6AQ5 10watter clip&schem. edit new & last clip

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

novosibir

Re: 6AQ5 10watter clip&schem. edit new & last clip

Post by novosibir »

All clear now :D

It isn't visible, that the switch is a 3-pos type, but now I've seen below the SW1b is 'on-off-on'

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
jem

Post by jem »

I have a Gibson Skylark tremolo with two 6AQ5's in it. Can get a nice glassy sound with it.
Markusv

Post by Markusv »

Klingo

VERY nice sounding amp!
There is a meatiness to the tone.

I have a bunch of those tubes too and I have considered a 4x 6aq5 liverpool
Anyone tried that?

Markus V
.........Now where did I put it?
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Markusv wrote: I have a bunch of those tubes too and I have considered a 4x 6aq5 liverpool
Anyone tried that?
Markus V
No, but I built an Express with a pair. 6AQ5 is a favorite of mine. I've got a pile of these, maybe 50 or so. I selected a nice strong pair of Sylvania (one black w/blue glow and one gray) that seem to be NOS, but who knows and I don't really care if they are. It sounds great. Since I don't play out, it probably isn't much of a concern, but I selected a 275-0-275 to power it and ended up with Va ~335V. This is a bit on the high side, but the amount of use is probably not enough to raise concerns. I fiddled with the dropping resistor in the power supply ladder so that the preamp is very much on-spot for an Express pre-amp.

I've also built a couple of Champs, as I've got one Mullard and one Telefunken. The truth, however, is that I can't hear the difference between these and the good Sylvania tubes. Use these anywhere you'd use a 6V6, just take care not to hit them with 400v, as they'd probably pop at that level.

A quad, sextet or octet of these is a great way to make lots of power. I'd imagine a quad of these, biased "properly" could get you well north of 30W and a sextet and certainly an octet will get you into the 50W range.

BTW, Kingo, I love what you did with them and your playing ain't so bad as you think. You've never heard me play and you probably never will.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Amp sounds nice Klingo. The 6AQ5 is a cool little tube.

BTW- No problems downloading and playing the files on my Mac :D
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does the balance pot do? I have some 6aq5's and want to be usin' em.
Exact science is not an exact science