Trusted brand 100w resistors?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Trusted brand 100w resistors?

Post by Reeltarded »

I am standardizing resistive loads across my rig. I think safety first for the amps.

Looking for experiences with current/recent manufacture 100w/16R that are as bulletproof as possible to make virtual 400w 4x12 loads. Unit size is not considered. Performance is.

I don't trust any of these google ads. :lol:
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Stevem

Re: Trusted brand 100w resistors?

Post by Stevem »

I use these and use a switching set up to go from series to parallel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Have you tried these from MJPA.com?
You'll need a box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

That is a possible!

I got trapped in Nebraska looking at millions of resistors last night. :lol:

Thanks
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:51 pm Have you tried these from MJPA.com?
You'll need a box.
My choice is, and I will be buying all the parts tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Nightmare trying to find an enclosure! I might have to build all three into a 3u rack deep enough to turn a ship in.

:o
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

OH MY GOD!!

Newark. Arcol 100w 16r aluminum cased. $3.06 each. I bought 16 and rushed to hit the order button before the robots remembered they are $14 each everywhere else!
3E7D0EB7-0542-4833-80FF-911D8AB23147.jpeg
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I've used Arcol resistors on heat sinks for testing guitar amps, but not for operational use like you are doing.
These are what I use for testing and adjusting audio amplifiers. The aluminum body resistors are 250W non-inductive, then mounted to aluminum plates and then audio amp heat sinks, screwed down to a wood base (they only get moved around the shop). If I was to use these in a less controlled environment, I'd mount them inside a large chassis box with vents or even an open top.
The ceramic are 300W open-air, non-inductive.
The test gear is what I've built/use for measurements; they tap off of the load resistors.
I've also built an oil-filled, non-inductive load using water heater elements, but it's messy and requires careful venting as the heat builds up. Not my favorite, which is why I use the others now.

250WDummy.jpg
300WDummy.jpg
TestGear1.jpg
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

An important point: the ceramic high wattage resistors are rated in free air, not enclosed in a box. Lots of venting or perhaps even forced air is recommended.

The gold aluminum ones further require hefty heat sinks to get to their full rating, as shown above. :)

The THD Hot Plate cleverly uses some of the speaker power to run an internal exhaust fan.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

That is chunky! I have a large heatsink around here I plan to cut up.

I also had a diabolical idea. Mount the fins inside an old espresso machine with the resistors external and stay awake virtually forever by cranking the amps! Ok, it was just an idea. :( I still need cast aluminum boxes. Have not decided on size, but too big is probably a food start.

Mark makes a great point. I could run fans, that push a small wind farm.. that power my amps.. and that sounds as reasonable as my coffee idea.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Steampunk espresso!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

F I was a superhero that would absolutely be my name. lol
AL

Post by AL »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:07 am Nightmare trying to find an enclosure! I might have to build all three into a 3u rack deep enough to turn a ship in.

:o
I ended up using an old computer power supply case. It's vented, has a switch and a fan.

AL
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I was thinking similar just to proto the layout but the size is an issue because of line out controls, transformer, jacks.

It got complicated. Looking at making a modular tail with rheostat as well.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I didn’t know they made green nunchucks. :shock:
Just plug it in, man.