Baldwin Choke

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Baldwin Choke

Post by angelodp »

Hi I have a Baldwin Choke 512-30K , on the side says - in a circle - B44.

It measures 184 ohms. Cannot find any info on the Henries, if anyone is familiar with this unit. please give me a heads up. Might this be a good choice for a Vibro Champ build?

Ange
Stevem

Re: Baldwin Choke

Post by Stevem »

If your going to put a Choke in a Champ then I would suggest to you to not to build I Champ.
Including a Choke in the build will greatly change the nature / responce of the amp that they are loved for, besides the fact that since it's a class A output stage ( the largest current draw in the amp) it really does not needa choke.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I don’t know anything about the Baldwin choke… but, I would consider using a choke in a CLC Pi filter feeding the entire amp’s PS.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

which baldwin organ did it come from? i usually keep better notes but the big ole choke i pulled out of a 2x6l6 baldwin organ measured 7H and frankly would've been overkill for a pi filter in a champ. you should be able to get away with the deluxe reverb-style choke (i used the bigger 90ma fender-style choke in my 6l6-powered vibrochamp)
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Hi, I t seems that this choke is only .025 H so not a good candidate. I think I will try to go without. I built a Vibro Champ from an Editing system that turned out very quiet, so I think it can be done with just the normal circuit. Thanks
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

is it just a small tuning coil for an oscillator? if it's a big heavy hunk of iron i'd suspect either a measurement error or a bum/shorted part
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
didit

Post by didit »

thetragichero wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:52 pm is it just a small tuning coil for an oscillator? if it's a big heavy hunk of iron i'd suspect either a measurement error or a bum/shorted part
Yes. Given measured resistance a sensible guess would be in a range of 1.5 to 10 Henries. The E-I dimensions and weight provide some more solid incites to an estimate.

Best .. Ian
Roe

Post by Roe »

Stevem wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:00 am If your going to put a Choke in a Champ then I would suggest to you to not to build I Champ.
Including a Choke in the build will greatly change the nature / responce of the amp that they are loved for, besides the fact that since it's a class A output stage ( the largest current draw in the amp) it really does not needa choke.
the 5e1 used a choke - and it works great on single end amps
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
didit

Post by didit »

If your choke is similar it's suitable creating a ~100mA CLC PI, and testing out single-ended power design with good ripple filtering should reward.
choke.jpg
Best .. Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Thanks for replies, here is the little beauty. Not sure about H though?

A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

It's plenty beefy enough to use in a SE 6V6 amp. I'd guess at least 1.5H, probably less than 5H. Can't be sure of mA rating, but one 6V6 and a couple of 12AX7's is a fairly light load.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Hi Phil, I'll temp it in and see what's what. The amp in question is pretty well behaved with only a small residual hum at full volume, be nice to have it stone quiet.

Thanks