Quick survey of Russian tubes

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Quick survey of Russian tubes

Post by xtian »

I ordered a dozen Russian 6P3S (6L6GC) (6Π3C) from an eBay guy in Ukraine.

In order to grade them for current draw, I put each pair into my fixed-bias amp and measured the current across the 1R bias sense resistors. Because overall system voltage varies as current draw changes, this isn't a scientific result, but close enough to roughly match some pairs.

Twelve tubes measured: 17, 18, 20, 25, 25, 28, 29, 29, 32, 32, 34, 36

I also have eight Russian 6P6S (6V6GT) from an earlier order. They measured: 8, 10, 10, 11, 16, 19, 28, 34
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Stevem

H

Post by Stevem »

Out of your 12 6L6s tested I would just toss out the ones starting from 20 on down as they are toast!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
xtian

Re: Quick survey of Russian tubes

Post by xtian »

I didn't explain...I did not set bias for the 6V6s at all. So they're criminally underbiased during the test. That's OK, I was just looking for RELATIVE numbers. I used a pair of the 10mA 6V6s during my gig on Saturday, and amp sounded awesome.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Several years ago, I bought a box of a dozen 6p3c 6L6 wannabes for something under $3 a tube. On a wild hair, I built a tube tester from bone pile components thread somewhere on TAG) and ran them through. I don't seem to have a clear record, but, IIRC, there was considerable variation in how they tested. I probably was able to cull maybe 2-3 pairs from the lot and I thought that was a really good result. I think my hombrew tester provides a plate voltage of about 250.

It looks to me like you got 5 pairs on the 6p3c and one pair from the 6p6s. I think that's a good result. People will disagree (feel free, please skip flames!), but once you get out on a stage and crank it up, if your tone is at least pretty good, most people in the audience won't know the difference.
Stevem

B

Post by Stevem »

I made no comment on your 6V6, just your 6L6s!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
menger66

Post by menger66 »

I've been using ruskie el84 for years they sound great, I've had one set in my 20watt Marshall for years running at 370 one the plates, There a couple bucks a tube if I buy in bulk and it's a USA seller if I had a bad or weak one he'd replace it, but i never have. they have a k in there number means miltary rugged
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I think I bought a quad of EL84's from that guy for my Rocket. They're great :D

I had a red plating JJ in a matched set so to I though sod it I'll give ebay a try. They've been very good indeed.

Marcus
Vince

Post by Vince »

xtian wrote:I ordered a dozen Russian 6P3S (6L6GC) (6Π3C) from an eBay guy in Ukraine. ...
6P3S (without -E) aren't 6L6GC! They like voltages under 400VDC and are mechanically delicate.
Don't use them in high voltage amps.
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4706/548 ... b84_XL.jpg
6P3S has 20,5W anode dissipation, 400V anode voltage and 300V G2 voltage.

Military version 6P3S-E (easily identified by waffer base) is tough enough to serve as 6L6GC replacement, but 6P3S not.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thx, Vince. In that case, I have been successfully abusing my Russian tubes for the past couple of years with no issues.
Vince

Post by Vince »

xtian wrote:Thx, Vince. In that case, I have been successfully abusing my Russian tubes for the past couple of years with no issues.
You're lucky man! When I try do it in Bassman 100 - two of 6P3S go to
the south in seconds :)