variac

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davebolden44

variac

Post by davebolden44 »

hello all. I have been kicking around about all the tools I am going to need to pursue my newfound hobby of tinkering around with tube amplifiers. I have a respectable list of tools I need to do this and one that comes to mind is a variac. now I am a big bang 4 your buck kind of guy so I get looking around and a lot of the cheaper ones I see have the big made in china stamped on them. no offense to the Chinese or anything but I wouldn't expect a lasting quality product but I could be wrong. any thoughts on brands or resources would be appreciated.
tele_player

Re: variac

Post by tele_player »

Sencore Powerite.

Robert
Structo

Post by Structo »

Variacs are cool if they are a high quality one (vintage) but,
I would recommend that you to build a 'light bulb current limiter'.

It is a great tool for the initial power up that can prevent costly mistakes if there is a wiring error or short circuit.

You can build one for about $10 if you have a small encloser handy or you can use an inexpensive metal junction box or similar to house it.

You can find it here.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20341

It allows you to limit the current flow to your new or repaired amp and gives a visual indication if there is a fault in the amp.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I do indeed have a current limiter I built a few months back. I was thinking that a variac would come in handy in determining what a phantom transformer could be used for. I tend to find all kinds of electronic parts at the flea market.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

davebolden44 wrote:I tend to find all kinds of electronic parts at the flea market.
In some areas there are still "ham" swaps & sales, aimed at amateur radio aficionados. Good hunting ground for variacs, also tubes & other electronic stuff of allsorts. Also rare but worth looking for, industrial/electronic surplus shops.

My shop Variac was a free castaway - the carbon brush had cracked and failed. I subbed a little bit of sheet brass bent into shape, and she's given me a good 30 years service so far.

You can buy 'em new too but not-Chinese ones likely set you back $150 at least, add another hundred for housing with fuse and meters for a 10 amp unit. Plus shipping. Just guessing $, I'm sure you can find a few vendors.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Jack Hester

Post by Jack Hester »

Search ebay for Staco variable transformers. I have a couple of these on hand, and used one in my breadboard build:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... breadboard

The one I used in this build is rated for 3 amps. I have another 3 amp and a 5 amp. Of course, they are panel-mount auto-transformers, but should be fairly simple to mount to the underside of a shelf, for easy access.

I also have a huge one in a case, from the US Navy. I forget what it's rated at, but quite a few amps. I use that one for determining turns ratios of unknown transformers.

Jack
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

thanks for the replies. I think that ebay or just dumb luck will be my best bet. just wanted to cover all grounds in case there was a resource I was unfamiliar with.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

tele_player wrote:Sencore Powerite.

Robert
+100 on the Sencore.
Ron