Another chassis supplier

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Another chassis supplier

Post by LeftyStrat »

I used to use Dirty Dawg until his shop burned down. I've been searching for a new supplier and came across this guy:

http://www.seasidechassisdesign.com/

What's interesting is under the custom design page, he says:

"I can do tube socket holes and IEC and transformer cut-outs"

Has anyone used his services?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
dorrisant

Re: Another chassis supplier

Post by dorrisant »

Getting a quote in a few hours for Wreck style (custom) chassis in 12 and 14 gauge. I will post the results.

Thanks for the link, Lefty! I had forgotten about this guy when I was using Dirty Dawg. Btw, Dawg says he will be back in biz, look for it sometime around January.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

No I haven't had the punch hole service but I have bought many chassis from him and they are very good quality. Some don't like that they are bolted together and those people can alumaweld the corners or change over to rivets if it bothers them.

Custom sized chassis has been no problem. The tremolux chassis he advertises was one of my first custom sized chassis I ordered since I had an original head cab but no chassis. :)

Mark
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

I purchased a chassis from Steve at seaside last month. Great build quality. Yeah the sides are bolted in but its done very cleanly and with attention to detail.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

seaside makes great chassis - I have a few of them here for prototyping, and he custom built me one for my 85W bass amp model.

I got him to make me 2 Twin sized chassis but he said he will never do it again. Nothing over 24" from him

I have a local chassis source that I am about to start working with. I will let you know how that pans out. Probably not going to do anything until this summer
Satchmoeddie-II

I have two I am making new designs with now His work is A+

Post by Satchmoeddie-II »

I got an oddball drip front combo cab a while back. I called Seaside & said I need a drip front 22 deg slope x wide x deep x tall. He said Fender amps are not 22 deg double check. I did, & said that is what I need, it is not a Fender & it fits like a glove. He also did a standard box to put in an OLD mahogany ply Carvin head cab & it fits perfect too. I punch my own holes, but I own the Greenlee hydraulic quickdraw punch set, & adapters that fit the small chassis punches. I used to make custom instrumentation & control panels so knocking out socket, tranny, switch, jack,pot & IDEC holes is pretty easy for me. That combo chassis came out superbly well. The angle is spot on. I had him make them about 1/8"-3/16" narrower, & I will shim them in with high temp rubber gasket material, or fiber board on either side. I do that sometimes anyway. I use solid wood sides a lot & if they shrink up a tad as they dry out a little slop is good to have. Everything is spot on with Seaside. I went a teeny bit small until I saw that what you order is exactly what you will get, so next time I will go to the exact 32nd of an inch & have them fit really tight. Too small I can shim. His stuff was square, right on the mark, & really pretty decent. I have had some of the chassis guys send me stuff that was off by 1/8" or so. Seaside is not one of them.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The trouble is Seaside plans to retire from regular work and stop making chassis next year.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

M Fowler wrote:The trouble is Seaside plans to retire from regular work and stop making chassis next year.
By then Dirty Dawg may be back up and running...?

Got the quote for a 17" x 8" x 2" ... "$35 for 14 gauge, $40 for 12ga.  plus shipping". He also said $20 shipping for one or two.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Tubetastic

Post by Tubetastic »

Its surprising the Dumble chassis isn't a regular available item like others are - or that only two people appear to supply it.
David Root

Post by David Root »

I checked in with Seaside about two years ago. IIRC at that time he was only doing 14 ga, which IMO in aluminum is too light for anything over about 20W or so to be roadworthy.

Now 12 ga is getting there, I have used 3/32 (.093") from RJ, vs .080 which is 12ga.

But for 50W or bigger in aluminum it's 1/8" for me. Dumble was right.