2Watt Sub Miniature Plexi

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyclmbr

No magic smoke

Post by skyclmbr »

Whoops, I just checked again and I get 180v to the filter caps the minute I plug in the power cable, regardless of the switch being in the off position. Seems like that shouldn't have happened, so I will check my switching set up...
JazzGuitarGimp

Re: No magic smoke

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

skyclmbr wrote:Whoops, I just checked again and I get 180v to the filter caps the minute I plug in the power cable, regardless of the switch being in the off position. Seems like that shouldn't have happened, so I will check my switching set up...
It sounds like the power switch is working just the opposite of what you're expecting. IOW, the position you think is
OFF is really ON.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
skyclmbr

amp power switch

Post by skyclmbr »

Hmm, I was having trouble with figuring out the wiring of the illuminated rocker switch. Looking at this, http://www.sci.com.tw/PRODUCTS/switch/% ... R13-66.htm I figured that the power from the switch should go to terminal 1, the output to the PT should be terminal 2, and terminal 3 should go to ground to allow the switch to light up. The switch lights up in the correct orientation (when I flip it on, or towards terminal 1).

Thanks for the help!
Bryan
JazzGuitarGimp

Re: amp power switch

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

skyclmbr wrote:Hmm, I was having trouble with figuring out the wiring of the illuminated rocker switch. Looking at this, http://www.sci.com.tw/PRODUCTS/switch/% ... R13-66.htm I figured that the power from the switch should go to terminal 1, the output to the PT should be terminal 2, and terminal 3 should go to ground to allow the switch to light up. The switch lights up in the correct orientation (when I flip it on, or towards terminal 1).

Thanks for the help!
Bryan
Hi Bryan,

I agree except that Neutral (in the US) should go to pin 3, not ground. This won't affect the operation of the switch, however. If the indicator light is working properly, then the switch is likely wired correctly.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
skyclmbr

Re: 2Watt Sub Miniature Plexi

Post by skyclmbr »

Whoops, I think I'm confusing my DC and AC nomenclature. Terminal 3 has been wired to the center (neutral?) pin on the power cable jack. Thanks for the help!
skyclmbr

power switch

Post by skyclmbr »

Ok, got it working. My AC knowledge required some refreshing. VVR is still not decreasing the B+ though.

Thanks,
Bryan
skyclmbr

Hoooooooooo it makes noise!

Post by skyclmbr »

Finally got it running!! Thanks for all the help, and thanks for the kit Dana! I haven't gotten to play it much yet but it sounds great so far. Very much a small big amp.
UR12

Re: Hoooooooooo it makes noise!

Post by UR12 »

skyclmbr wrote:Finally got it running!! Thanks for all the help, and thanks for the kit Dana! I haven't gotten to play it much yet but it sounds great so far. Very much a small big amp.
Hey Congrats!!. I'll be looking forward to hear your evaluation. In response to a couple of your posts, the first 100uf cap is actually in the circuit right after the b+ diodes and right before the VVR. This means it has power on it as soon as the power switch is turned on. It will eventually bleed off through the VVR just like the rest of the caps when the power is turned off. This may take a minute. Would be interested in knowing where you biased it at. My voltage measurements with tubes installed have the B+ between 160 and 170vdc. In that range I found that -26 to -28 volts sounds best to me. Would like to hear your thoughts on your biasing
skyclmbr

Microplex

Post by skyclmbr »

Man that is a nice sounding amp. Thanks Dana, I figured out that I wouldn't be getting any response from the VVR at the solder point listed as B+ on the PCB because it's upstream of the VVR circuit. When I measured the voltage at the resistor downstream of the VVR I got the appropriate response.

Right now it's biased at -30v just because that was what was in the Lil Devil manual. It sounds great, but I'll play around with the bias a little more. My girlfriend's bro is in town for the week so I'll take advantage of his guitar chops to play around with the bias and let you know.

I haven't played a real 1987, but the Guitar Rig model is pretty decent and it tracks with that quite well, particularly with the normal input being pretty bassy. The thing just grooves. It'll do a great blues tone at around 3 or 4 on the bright channel, and I played around with a nice sounding jazz tone on the normal channel this morning. It gets a little loose at the higher distortion levels but I think so does the real deal, and hey, that's what a Tubescreamer's for right? Tightens up the bottom a little, takes a little off the top, etc.

Great amp man!
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

It's very cool to see these coming together!
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
UR12

Post by UR12 »

As of today everyone on the list for a kit has been notified. As soon as I hear back from everyone I will start PMing the alternates that wanted on the list. Three of the 10 kits have already been shipped. Good to hear that you guys are getting these up and running. If I can be of any assistance just shoot me an PM or post in this thread.

Here is the list. If you see your name please let me know your status through a PM or post.

Skyclimber Shipped
Marioverkill Shipping
JazzGuitarGimp Shipped
Cantplay Shipped
Dartanion

Myfoot Shipped
BlindDog Shipped
Orleanska Shipped
DJU Shipped
Last edited by UR12 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

UR12 wrote:As of today everyone on the list for a kit has been notified. As soon as I hear back from everyone I will start PMing the alternates that wanted on the list. Three of the 10 kits have already been shipped. Good to hear that you guys are getting these up and running. If I can be of any assistance just shoot me an PM or post in this thread.

Here is the list. If you see your name please let me know your status through a PM or post.

Skyclimber Shipped
Marioverkill
JazzGuitarGimp
Cantplay Shipped
Dartanion
Passfan
Myfoot Shipping
BlindDog Shipped
Orleanska Shipping
DJU
PM Sent
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
UR12

Post by UR12 »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:
UR12 wrote:As of today everyone on the list for a kit has been notified. As soon as I hear back from everyone I will start PMing the alternates that wanted on the list. Three of the 10 kits have already been shipped. Good to hear that you guys are getting these up and running. If I can be of any assistance just shoot me an PM or post in this thread.

Skyclimber Shipped
Marioverkill
JazzGuitarGimp Shipping
Cantplay Shipped
Dartanion
Passfan
Myfoot Shipping
BlindDog Shipped
Orleanska Shipping
DJU
PM Sent
The ones showing shipping will be shipped out tomorrow. I will try and start one of the Microplex's this evening to add some pics to the thread so people can follow along. This is going to get fun 8)
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man I wish I had got on to the list. (no money anyhow)
Looks like a fun little amp. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Structo wrote:Man I wish I had got on to the list. (no money anyhow)
Looks like a fun little amp. :D
You still may have a chance. There is still one or two I am waiting to hear from. I'll let ya know.