Dog's HRM stack values ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pedro

Dog's HRM stack values ?

Post by pedro »

....mainly a q for dogears - but I keep listening to the recent HRM clip and get more focussed on the "tightness" of that mainly "clean" sounding tone.

I sums up what I'm really after - glassy clean with a light pick attack - then really honky middly compression when the pick digs in a bit - if you now what I mean - sort of "funnel" compression - if thats makes any sense at all. Half way between clean and distorted but not a "messy" clean with lots of seperated brittle artifacts - i hate that. A kind of "clean distortion". Like the very best plexis at full tilt with the right guitar.

So,
dogears - what values do you measure across the post OD stack with that set up -
- as a good variety of trim pots is hard to come across in the UK electronics market I'd like to experiment with fixed values for the OD stack. I have masses of Farnell carbon films to use so would be good to get guide values to rig up a fixed stack.

I'd be happy with that tone for some years I think.................

happy for private email etc - just drop me a line and I'll send conact details so its not fully public/spammable.

Let me know - TIA

cheers
Pete
dogears

Re: Dog's HRM stack values ?

Post by dogears »

Hi Pete,

I'll shoot you an email later with new clips and tips..... I am off to the supermarket now!
pedro

Post by pedro »

cheers fella - thats quick - I know the supermarket drill well - my wife just went to Barcelona for 5 days with her pals :(

lots of late nights with the soldering iron this week. :lol:

have fun at the checkouts

thanks a lot Scott - cantwait tfor the tips - youve been a real help.

Rgds
Pedro
Harris

Harris

Post by Harris »

Dogears...if you wouldn't mind posting the ideas here...I'd appreciate it. I've been thinking the same thing as Pedro. Those clips were IT!!!!!!
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

keep it public:) im curious too...
dogears

Post by dogears »

Well, here is my dilemma. I like the low gain network feeding the OD (470k bypassed with 47pf feeding 120k feeding 25k trim with 4.7 ground tail). The problem is one of lowend growl versus honk versus top end clarity. The stack I use is the same as the schematic. Except I have been experimenting with slope resistors, treb caps, and post od treble bleeds. As long as no one is overly critical, I am posting some crappy test clips here. I am not done testing. My gut says a larger slope will allow higher bass settings giving growl with less mid honk. Unfortunately I only have this one clip using a Fender sized 100k post od slope. Promising though! Sounds to me Ford is using a slope somewhat higher than 33k. Hope this all helps. All clips were Eminence RWB speaker and Audix I5 mic.

previously posted clip - 47k slope, bleed fwiw http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/CminorBleed1.MP3

33k, no bleed
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/Cm ... 3k330b.MP3

33k slope clips w/bleed
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/Cm ... 33k330.MP3
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/Cm ... 33k390.MP3

100k slope, no bleed, treb trim low, low gain
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/ma ... 003OD1.MP3

47k slope, no bleed
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/maria47k002OD1.MP3
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

i don't have the best ears.. but i think the 47k with bleed sounds great.. the brightness sounds great on the highs without being piercing.. the 33k's actually just sound like you rolled back the treble pot a little.

but of course i dont have the best ears:)

im fighting with piercing painful highs on mine right now:(

BTW... i gotta figure how to get my gain that smooth.. right now mine sounds like black sabbath meets megadeth... not that im complaining:)
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

I also like the 47k with bleed clip. The 47k without bleed is my second choice - seems like it changes the feel of the amp. Without the bleed it sounds REALLY touch sensitive, but I don't really like the sound of the note attacks. The attack is much better with the bleed clip, still strong but not overbearing.

BTW, I finally got around to swapping in those 6PS and ceramic caps, and it is smoother than I can believe!
jelle

mid honk in bass

Post by jelle »

Hi Dogears,

I also ran across the mid honk problem. With a little help from the tone stack calculator at duncanamps IIRC, I was able to fix the problem. I used the fender tone stack with marshall values.
The mid cap was replaced with a .033 or a .047 uF cap and I was able to create a nice mid dip in the OD sound without sounding like metallica!
This helped to create a nice cleanish singing sound and I like it. The only drawback is that it has to run pretty loud to sound really good in a 100w el-34 amp.

I also like the 100k and the 47k value.
What value and composition treble cap did you use?

Jelle
The Netherlands
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Mac... where did you swap the caps? think i missed a post somewhere:)
dogears

Post by dogears »

Here are a few more samples from a while back. Sorry for crappy playing.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/Cm ... k390pf.MP3 47k w/390pf

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/Cm ... 47k330.MP3 47k w/330k

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/maria.MP3 39k - not sure of treb cap

I use ceramic treble caps.
Last edited by dogears on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

like the 47/330 one there:) and your WAY too worried bout your playing.. 100x better than me:)
pedro

Post by pedro »

dogears,

thanks - very interesting FWIW the first and original clip is better for me - its bolder and sounds more focussed. I think its got more better middle characteristics. It alos sounds louder in the mix so I'm trying not to let that colour my judgement overly.

Its interesting what you said. I built my amp with the 180K over 100K OD input trim and no OD input network. Ive now just modded today to the 470K/47pf over 120K and 25K trim ( actually the original 100K OD trim with a 33K strapped across terminals of pot ) with 4.7K in the ground tail.

Havent been able to tryout as I'm also hooking up a fixed dumbleator send/return loop in situ so have disconnected signal wires.

The bit I dont get is the treble bleed - what are you tweaking here from the standard OD stack ?

cheers
Pete
dogears

Post by dogears »

Hi Pedro,

The network totally does not work unless you have HRM and run in boost mode. All my clips are with PAB mode on!

Also, I fixed the link to the first of the three new clips. 47k slope with 390pf treb cap. Same as the clip you liked! Shoot me an email... k?
pedro wrote:dogears,

thanks - very interesting FWIW the first and original clip is better for me - its bolder and sounds more focussed. I think its got more better middle characteristics. It alos sounds louder in the mix so I'm trying not to let that colour my judgement overly.

Its interesting what you said. I built my amp with the 180K over 100K OD input trim and no OD input network. Ive now just modded today to the 470K/47pf over 120K and 25K trim ( actually the original 100K OD trim with a 33K strapped across terminals of pot ) with 4.7K in the ground tail.

Havent been able to tryout as I'm also hooking up a fixed dumbleator send/return loop in situ so have disconnected signal wires.

The bit I dont get is the treble bleed - what are you tweaking here from the standard OD stack ?

cheers
Pete
pedro

Post by pedro »

will do , I'll drop you a line,
- later though as beginner teaching for a while tonight.

have wired up PAB but dont have any post OD stack yet - was planning to get a fixed network up and running using some sample values from your stack !!

cheers
&
Rgds
Pete c