OD tone control

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dobbhill

OD tone control

Post by dobbhill »

I thought that I might share what has worked well for me. I haven't tried the post-OD tone stack. I feel like it's more "stuff" in the way of the guitar signal and adds to the complexity of the amp. The low frequency response of the overdrive is easy to tune using coupling caps and cathode bypass caps to control low frequency rolloff. The treble, on the other hand, is a bit more difficult to tune. I use the 500pf snubbers on OD1 and OD2. What I have on my amp is a front panel control that cuts highs. I installed it between the 100k input trimmer and the grid resistor of OD1. I used a 1meg audio pot, wired as a variable resistor and a 0.01uf cap to ground, mainly because that's what I had lying around. It allows me to set the clean tone just how I like it and tweek the highs feeding the OD section. I have always like tone controls before the distortion instead of after, just like overdriving and amplifier power section: input>tone and gain>power amp>speaker.
I have liked this setup so much that I have never tried the HRM mod.
Thanks for listening.
D
Bob-I

Re: OD tone control

Post by Bob-I »

I did this on the output after removing the HRM, 1M audio and .005uF to ground. I may just try moving it to the input of OD1 like you did. I was actually thinking that the HRM might be better in another position, perhaps between OD1 and OD2.

If we keep making mods like this HAD will never have an issue, cain't call them Dumble's if they ain't Dumbles. :roll:
dobbhill

Re: OD tone control

Post by dobbhill »

Just remember to patent it before Randall Smith sees it................
If you do a comparison of the pre-OD, mid-OD, and post-OD versions, let us know what you think. Who knows, we/you may be on to something..
Thanks, D