Which Dumble model is closest to the VOX sound

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jazzbass

Which Dumble model is closest to the VOX sound

Post by jazzbass »

Hello to all the enthusiasts who enrich this forum with their contributions and thank you all for the generosity and enthusiasm with which you share your experience.

I've built about ten amplifiers copying or taking inspiration from Dumble projects and now I'm trying to understand which of his amplifiers comes closest to the sound of the VOX, or what modifications to make to one of his models to obtain that sound.

Years ago I read a discussion on the topic but I don't remember the name with which to search for it. I tried but to no avail.

I would like to be able to further this research with your help.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Franco
franco mezzalira
dbharris

Re: Which Dumble model is closest to the VOX sound

Post by dbharris »

Hi Franco,

This is the only bit of info I remember on this subject:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ox#p424025

I don't recall any further info, discussion, or pictures since. Would be very interesting to see how HAD implemented this in an UP amp.

-Dan
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

Which VOX? I think you are looking at the AC15/30 design. But then there are different iterations of these amps too, which are quit different.
Most Dumble amps are based on Fender circuits, and there is nothing I know about, that has a EL84/6BQ5 cathod biased poweramp section, nor an EF86 preamp stage.
I think, this is a different animal. If you want something like a VOX AC30, you have to go with this topology from the beginning.

I must say, I'm far away from beeing a VOX expert, or an expert at all. Maybe there is a Dumble design, that goes this route, but I have doubts.

Cheers
Gerhard
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi dbharris, thank you for your suggestion, I started reading the article and all the references within.

Hi Lothy, thanks, I know Dumble's work well enough to know that his designs take inspiration from the best Fender amplifiers.

What I was asking for were some suggestions, some reasoning on how to modify a Dumble project so that it sounds as close as possible to a VOX.
Anyway thanks for the right observation on the bias of the VOX project, I had forgotten about it. :D

Franco
franco mezzalira
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

This makes me curious if there are any Vox amps out there that were modified by Dumble.
I've seen plenty of examples of Fenders and a few Marshalls, but it would be interesting to see what he would have done to an AC-30 or AC-15.

Matt J.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Matt J wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:11 pm This makes me curious if there are any Vox amps out there that were modified by Dumble.
I've seen plenty of examples of Fenders and a few Marshalls, but it would be interesting to see what he would have done to an AC-30 or AC-15.

Matt J.
I heard there is a Vox that HAD modified for Mike Cambell. I have no details on it though
Ian
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

This is the only one I know of. Based on the tags maybe it was modified for Jackson Browne and later bought and used by Mike Campbell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:20 pm This is the only one I know of. Based on the tags maybe it was modified for Jackson Browne and later bought and used by Mike Campbell
Very interesting! Thank you for posting that.
I wish there was more info or sound samples of it!
Matt J.
jelle

Post by jelle »

I would convert it into a Rocket. :-)
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Denmark St. Guitar is the Harrisons' shop isn't it?

That would make one question its authenticity...
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Dear Ampgarage followers,

apparently I opened a missing chest. I built both the Rocket and the Matchles looking for the sound of an old VOX AC30 but what I got didn't entirely convince me.
This is the reason for my research and I asked the Ampgarage community if Dumble had built an amplifier with that voice, which could also have an overdriven sound as only he could achieve.

I hope that the discussion leads to some results, some schemes, some demos.

Thanks, Franco
franco mezzalira