John Mayer’s 50 watt ODS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

James_rc

John Mayer’s 50 watt ODS

Post by James_rc »

Hi all. I’m just curious here, but do you know what “style” or era (for lack of a better term) of ODS John Mayer’s 50 watt ODS is? He’s been using it on the solo tour and used it with Dead and Company.

This picture is from “johnmayergear” on Instagram, which also notes it was previously owned by Carlos Santana. I see bright, deep, rock/jazz switches, and an accent switch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erwin_ve

Re: John Mayer’s 50 watt ODS

Post by erwin_ve »

Looks like a 2nd gen Overdrive Special.
See: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12870
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

This amp was previously owned by Carlos Santana who nicknames it Tandoori Chicken due to the cabinet colour.

Carlos had a good relationship with HAD and a lot of his amps were serviced and updated by the man himself

No way to accurately know what is really under the hood
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seb C

Post by Seb C »

I can’t help you on what’s inside, but I can say it sounded magnificent live a few weeks back!
James_rc

Post by James_rc »

Thanks, guys!
erwin_ve wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:21 am Looks like a 2nd gen Overdrive Special.
Wow! Incredible thread! Thanks!
Seb C wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 pm I can’t help you on what’s inside, but I can say it sounded magnificent live a few weeks back!
I saw him live for the first time last year during the solo show in Palm Desert. When he played the first lead during the Changing solo… You can watch him so much on YouTube, but hearing it for the first time in real life… I’d never heard anything like it before. I’m building a 50 watt JM Sig clone right now, and I think it’s going to be great for my purposes. But it’s so interesting learning more about what he’s actually using.
Dr d

Post by Dr d »

James_rc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:59 am Thanks, guys!
erwin_ve wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:21 am Looks like a 2nd gen Overdrive Special.
Wow! Incredible thread! Thanks!
Seb C wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 pm I can’t help you on what’s inside, but I can say it sounded magnificent live a few weeks back!
I saw him live for the first time last year during the solo show in Palm Desert. When he played the first lead during the Changing solo… You can watch him so much on YouTube, but hearing it for the first time in real life… I’d never heard anything like it before. I’m building a 50 watt JM Sig clone right now, and I think it’s going to be great for my purposes. But it’s so interesting learning more about what he’s actually using.
Hi, the 2nd gen ODS is a very different animal to the JM Sig. Both great, but different. :D
rootz

Post by rootz »

Yeah, very different amps. He used the JM sig extensively a decade ago I think. I'm not a connoisseur when it comes down to JM gear, but remember seeing pics of the JM sig and Dumble SSS #002 together on stage. I suppose he was fully relying on pedals for driven tones when using those two amps together.