Hurrah, a new transformer.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Oddvar R

Hurrah, a new transformer.

Post by Oddvar R »

Just got this transformer from https://www.etronic-parts.com/Transform ... :1425.html. Intended to go into my OD 50w, (022814 PT)- Only problem is that this amp has burnt 3 Weber transformer and I am a bit worried this would happen again. Is there anything I could do to prevent that?

This amp is the best amp I ever had, by far, so I hope this will work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Re: Hurrah, a new transformer.

Post by bepone »

Congratulations!
I dont want to be a partybreaker, but lamination stack looks little bit small (thin)....

Just measure the current (primary, secondaries) and temperature after one hour in use if the curents are normal....
If the transformer is not hot, then is ok
bepone

Post by bepone »

also put fuses in primary (2AT) and high voltage secondary (0.8-1AT after 1.st cap Ub+ to the output transformer) to protect the transformer in case of some incident or short
Oddvar R

Post by Oddvar R »

I am wondering if the Ov on this drawing is the 53v tap? I have never seen this before, so I thought I'd check it first. The colour codes doesn't match the transformer.

Primary:
230VAC, 50 HZ
Secondaries:
a) 420VDC @240mA FWCT, 330-0-330 VAC, 240mA with 53V bias tap
b) 6.3V, 3.15A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

There is no bias tap shown in your drawing.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Oddvar R wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:48 pm I am wondering if the Ov on this drawing is the 53v tap? I have never seen this before, so I thought I'd check it first. The colour codes doesn't match the transformer.

Primary:
230VAC, 50 HZ
Secondaries:
a) 420VDC @240mA FWCT, 330-0-330 VAC, 240mA with 53V bias tap
b) 6.3V, 3.15A
There are 4 x 0V labels, which one?

I don't see a bias tap
Ian
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The blue wire is the bias tap. Check to be sure you get resistance readings from the blue to each red and also the white to confirm.
Oddvar R

Post by Oddvar R »

sluckey wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:02 pm The blue wire is the bias tap. Check to be sure you get resistance readings from the blue to each red and also the white to confirm.
Thank you Sluckey. I counted the leads coming out of the 022814 on the 50w'er and it also hahave 7 leads, so I hoped it would be like that. The company wasn't very informativ when asked, so I thought it might have been a dumb buy. I also ewxpected to see som CT's.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Oddvar R wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:46 pm I also ewxpected to see som CT's.
The white wire is a CT for the high voltage winding. There is no CT on the filament winding because there was no CT on the original Fender 125P7D PT filament winding.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

An amp that's "burnt three Weber PTs" likely has a problem that needs sorting. Good recommendation to use fuses or proper bulb limiter to protect and diagnose the circuit.
Just plug it in, man.
Oddvar R

Post by Oddvar R »

ViperDoc wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:30 pm An amp that's "burnt three Weber PTs" likely has a problem that needs sorting. Good recommendation to use fuses or proper bulb limiter to protect and diagnose the circuit.
Thank you for that, but I have tried both of those things.