C-lator hum

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bepone

Re: C-lator hum

Post by bepone »

probably short circuit with the chassis, but also wrong type of bolt is used.. need to be "flat" head
Screenshot_20240406-152621.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

strange that heaters are burnt, maybe integrated fuse inside? the other voltages are live?
ynor

Post by ynor »

They are open, as in infinite Ohms... Can't believe they are burnt. That should have shown. So somewhere in the coil there is breakages, right? Too hard handling of the wires? Did I pull them too hard? I did handle them carefully.
ynor

Post by ynor »

bepone wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:59 am strange that heaters are burnt, maybe integrated fuse inside? the other voltages are live?
No other fuses inside than the external mains fuse. The HV is live, 135 VAC. I did disconnect the PT screw from the chassis before reading those voltages.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ynor wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:20 pm They are open, as in infinite Ohms... Can't believe they are burnt. That should have shown. So somewhere in the coil there is breakages, right? Too hard handling of the wires? Did I pull them too hard? I did handle them carefully.
Doesn't seem likely, and as I said above if you had created a shorted turn with the rack case, you would see/smell burning, or the line fuse would have opened. Maybe it is a case of infant mortality.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The data sheet does not indicate that there is any sort of internal fuse.

e-mail the supplier and ask them if you can send it back to them and get a replacement. Rats, this was looking lake a good fix.
ynor

Post by ynor »

Yes will email them. Must be a defective unit, I hope.
ynor

Post by ynor »

bepone wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:59 am probably short circuit with the chassis, but also wrong type of bolt is used.. need to be "flat" headScreenshot_20240406-152621.jpg

I am 100 % sure that the head of that bolt did not touch the top of the chassis. There is at least 5 mm clearance. But thanks for the suggestion.
bepone

Post by bepone »

ynor wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:20 pm They are open, as in infinite Ohms... Can't believe they are burnt. That should have shown. So somewhere in the coil there is breakages, right? Too hard handling of the wires? Did I pull them too hard? I did handle them carefully.
Very strange, this is first time in my life to hear that..
ok heaters are dead.. Wire is kinda thick and im sure it can handle shortly at least 5 amps.
So im suspexting the fault in joint where is external PVC wire connected to the internal wire (wound enamelled wire) , maybe joint is broken or so, loose. If you can check, maybe heaters are wound on top layer, so with removing the insulation, digging inside you can find broken point and remake the connection succesfully, and at the end return the insulation foil back.
Trafo has other voltages ok, so maybe is that the only problem
ynor

Post by ynor »

bepone wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:14 pm
Very strange, this is first time in my life to hear that..
ok heaters are dead.. Wire is kinda thick and im sure it can handle shortly at least 5 amps.
So im suspexting the fault in joint where is external PVC wire connected to the internal wire (wound enamelled wire) , maybe joint is broken or so, loose. If you can check, maybe heaters are wound on top layer, so with removing the insulation, digging inside you can find broken point and remake the connection succesfully, and at the end return the insulation foil back.
Trafo has other voltages ok, so maybe is that the only problem
You were right!! It works again! Thank you so much, and Martin too :-)

The problem was enameled wire. Both my probes and the solder joints did not penetrate. I scraped some on the bare solid core wire to get through the coating and now it works again! Lid on! No noise! Sounds amazing!

This thread has been a crash course 101 in tube electronics / serious general electric refresh for me. I'm so grateful to you all :-)
bepone

Post by bepone »

ynor wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:21 pm You were right!! It works again! Thank you so much, and Martin too :-)
no problem, enjoy now the results, and start to play with some effects finally :P
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ynor wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:21 pmThe problem was enameled wire.
Great to hear you’ve solved it!
I gather the heater leads are the tails of the windings, and when you clipped them you did not remove the enamel? Lesson learned, I guess!
I believe Bepone was suggesting that you tear into the torroid wrapping and look for a broken connection, which is not something I would do before asking the supplier about it.
ynor

Post by ynor »

martin manning wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:02 pm I gather the heater leads are the tails of the windings, and when you clipped them you did not remove the enamel? Lesson learned, I guess!
Yes that's correct. Lesson learned.

Finally time to let this one get some time. June '64! Now here's one thing that don't need improvement. Made right the first time :-)

Screenshot_20240406_223159_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Beauty! It is truly amazing that the Tele, Strat, and P-bass were some of the earliest electric guitars, and as you said, basically perfect right out of the gate. The amplifiers have evolved some, though ;^)