Starting to populate the chassis....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dragon1

Re: Starting to populate the chassis....

Post by Dragon1 »

I can, was just running out the door and this was easier.
Again, thanks…
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Dragon1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:31 pm I can, was just running out the door and this was easier.
Again, thanks…
Wow.... speechless
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

Don’t be mad, I’ll probably ask a lot of questions that I should already know the answers to, just to make sure I’ve got it right. Like everyone else I don’t want to go poof…..
Brian
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

Took a bit of staring but I figured it out, volume "b" and drive "a"...yup, I got it.
Again, Sorry to Erwin but I not an electrician, more of a jack of all trades, CNC programmer by trade.
I love to build things, have built electric guitars, a dozen pedals, a custom chopper, now a "32 ford hot rod.
This looked really intriguing and since I have amps already, what's one more.
I am having fun building this and it's going to be awesome to have built my own amp.
Thank you Erwin for all of your help, hope we are ok....
Brian
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Hi Brian, we are ok. I was just flabbergasted, but as you pointed out it was just to be sure. I'm ok with that.

Erwin
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Based in part on the questions asked here, I added some words to the eyelet board thread to help set expectations. That and the recent additions to the eyelet board .pdf should help new players get up to speed a little more easily. As always, if anyone is not fully satisfied, the purchase price of this information will be cheerfully refunded ;^)
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

Let's take a walk around the inside, wires, wires, and more wires......
I have 470R 3 watts coming for the 6L6 tubes, See I do take your advice, I also need to look at the schematics better...
Question, can I cut the transformer wires to a more suitable length or leave them, they're like 9" long. Don't know if it changes anything with the ratings.
Lots to go yet, Again thank you in advance for any answers, advice, general knowledge.
As always feel free to coment...
Thanks, Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Which variant are you building? Above you pointed to 2nd Gen preamp board, and there is a Fender-type pilot lamp holder for a 6VAC bulb, but I see you have the rectifier for an LED panel lamp like the later amps (124, e.g.)

What is the secondary voltage on your relay supply transformer? Should be 12 VAC for the bridge rectifier you have on the relay supply board, assuming 12V relays.

Which transformer leads are you referring to trimming? Generally leaving extra length is not a good idea, but the routing is important. Follow the layout or consult photos.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Dragon1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:06 pm Let's take a walk around the inside, wires, wires, and more wires......
I have 470R 3 watts coming for the 6L6 tubes, See I do take your advice, I also need to look at the schematics better...
Question, can I cut the transformer wires to a more suitable length or leave them, they're like 9" long. Don't know if it changes anything with the ratings.
Lots to go yet, Again thank you in advance for any answers, advice, general knowledge.
As always feel free to coment...
Thanks, Brian
I see you are using a 716P cap on the LNFB (as well as on the bass pot). I'm not sure if that is intentional but HAD used a 6PS in that position (as well as the rest of the amp).
Ian
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

All the transformer leads are way long, I can trim the ones I’m not using though right.

6.3 volts each lead. Relay supply transformer. Was told it was fine.

I really wanted a purple pilot light so I picked the fender, I’ll make it work.

Yes the 716 caps are big , actually they’re huge. It’s what I had.
I can change them. I’ll have more room then,
Thanks for the comments,
Brian
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Dragon1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:37 am All the transformer leads are way long, I can trim the ones I’m not using though right.
Yes, it’s good to trim and heat shrink them, or fix to unused terminal strip. Those you are using should be routed carefully and trimmed to the necessary length.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

K, thanks.
Brian
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Dragon1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:37 am All the transformer leads are way long, I can trim the ones I’m not using though right.
There are literally hundreds of pics of builds on this site as well as pics of actual Dumbles that show lead dress and trimmed transformer leads. All you need to do is a little work to find them. I'm not trying to be a smartass but these types of questions are frankly a waste of time :roll:
Ian
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

So which variant are you building? It will be very difficult to answer further questions unless the specific schematic and layout you are working to is understood by all.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Dragon1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:37 am Yes the 716 caps are big , actually they’re huge. It’s what I had.
I can change them. I’ll have more room then,
Thanks for the comments,
Brian
716 and 6PS are basically the same size but have different dielectric. It's a tone thing 8)
Glenn