ODS Trouble Shooting Advice Requested

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

ODS Trouble Shooting Advice Requested

Post by donvan »

I built an ODS a few years ago. I was playing the amp yesterday and all of the sudden there was a loud, obnoxious, constant noise or oscillation. Even with the master volume turned down all the way, it still persisted. Banging the top of the cabinet (not too hard) with my open hand changed the volume of the sound/oscillation. It was a lower frequency sound but I can't say for sure if it was 60/120Hz. I turned the amp off immediately, let it cool down, and then wiggled each tube to make sure it was secure. I turned it back on, the issue was still there, and I turned back off immediately. It seemed like the power tubes were brighter than normal but I can't say for sure since I normally don't really pay attention to their brightness.

I have a signal generator, scope, and DVM. I used to be an electronics tech and I am experienced in trouble shooting low voltage circuits. On this amp, I am confident trouble shooting the power supply, following the signal path, and isolating a problem. What I lack is the experience that many of you have trouble shooting tube amp circuits and I don't want to do anything that will cause more damage so I want to run my ideas by you before I start trouble shooting.

I suspect that this is a power tube issue but that is only a guess. What I would like to do is to remove the power tubes and then see if the power supply and preamp are working correctly. I realize that this will raise the voltages. In your opinion is this a good approach? If it is a good approach, I would then add back one power tube at a time and try to isolate the bad boy. Any advice?

BTW, I don't have a variac transformer.
martin manning

Re: ODS Trouble Shooting Advice Requested

Post by martin manning »

The voltage ratings of the components are usually high enough to take unloaded (tubes out) voltage levels, but there are no guarantees. Do you have a lightbulb limiter? A low-wattage bulb would knock the voltage down to a safe level.
bepone

Post by bepone »

pull the PI tube out and verify the oscillation stop
donvan

Post by donvan »

martin manning wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:20 pm The voltage ratings of the components are usually high enough to take unloaded (tubes out) voltage levels, but there are no guarantees. Do you have a lightbulb limiter? A low-wattage bulb would knock the voltage down to a safe level.
Thanks Martin. This makes me feel better about removing the power tubes. No, I don't have a lightbulb limiter.
donvan

Post by donvan »

bepone wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 pm pull the PI tube out and verify the oscillation stop
Thanks bepone. This is an interesting suggestion. Do you suspect that the PI tube is causing the oscillation or is this just a good way to isolate the preamp from the power amp?
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

donvan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:49 pm
bepone wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 pm pull the PI tube out and verify the oscillation stop
Thanks bepone. This is an interesting suggestion. Do you suspect that the PI tube is causing the oscillation or is this just a good way to isolate the preamp from the power amp?
This is the common troubleshooting process of elimination. The PI tube is most likely suspect if master volume doesn’t effect anything. Pi is downstream.
Charlie
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Low frequency buzz could be failed/failing rectifier. That will usually take the mains fuse out, but it's something to be aware of.
donvan

Post by donvan »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:14 pm
This is the common troubleshooting process of elimination. The PI tube is most likely suspect if master volume doesn’t effect anything. Pi is downstream.
Got it. Thanks for the response Charlie!
donvan

Post by donvan »

martin manning wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:10 pm Low frequency buzz could be failed/failing rectifier. That will usually take the mains fuse out, but it's something to be aware of.
Thanks Martin! I will certainly look at that.
donvan

Post by donvan »

Just wanted to follow up. The issue was indeed a bad power tube. Thanks for all of the tips and information!

Don
donvan

Post by donvan »

What do you amp repair guys do in a case where 1 of 4 matched power tubes needs to be replaced. Do you replace all 4 or try to find a single tube the matches the other 4?

Thanks,
Don
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

donvan wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:25 pm What do you amp repair guys do in a case where 1 of 4 matched power tubes needs to be replaced. Do you replace all 4 or try to find a single tube the matches the other 4?
I'd replace with a matched quad. I have got in the habit of buying a matched sextet so I have replacements if needed. I know, this doesn't account for the other 3 getting extensive use and potentially drifting but so far I've been lucky in replacing a bad tube and having them well-balanced.
Ian
donvan

Post by donvan »

Ian,
Thanks for your input. I just pulled the trigger and ordered a matched set.