Seems that TAD 6L6WGC is discontinued... Suggestions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tonejunkie

Seems that TAD 6L6WGC is discontinued... Suggestions

Post by tonejunkie »

I have been playing the Dumble clone you guys helped me build for over 10 years now and I have always used the TAD 6L6WGC short bottles in there. Replaced them twice. Now that they seem to be not in production any more (Well, I can find them but they are a bit expensive) what is the current production 6L6 that you recommend? I have been reading up a bit and I was thinking a JJ 5881. I know that would be a bit less power but I'm just looking for a similar sound to my TAD's.
martin manning

Re: Seems that TAD 6L6WGC is discontinued... Suggestions

Post by martin manning »

Probably due to the demise of the Shuguang factory. Try EH, Tung-Sol (also EH), or JJ 6L6's, they should work fine.
dgrainger

Post by dgrainger »

I've been wondering this too. I've used them in a couple of amps and really liked them too. I suspect it's due to the shutdown of the Chinese tube manufacturer.
tonejunkie

Post by tonejunkie »

martin manning wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:19 pm Try EH, Tung-Sol (also EH), or JJ 6L6's, they should work fine.
I have tried several brands many years ago and I preferred the TAD short bottle 6L6WGC's I'm wondering if anyone has found something tonally similar. So for example the JJ 6L6GC is much less mid forward to my ears. I'm looking to not have to shootout 6L6's again but maybe I will have to.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

tonejunkie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:49 pmI'm looking to not have to shootout 6L6's again but maybe I will have to.
I'm afraid so, unfortunately, since the TAD is gone. Either that, or you could pay for some that someone has stashed, and buy some time.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

I've been very happy with a pair of Tung Sol 6L6GC in my Supro 1688 clone. They roar.
f601441784.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tonejunkie

Post by tonejunkie »

statorvane wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:47 am I've been very happy with a pair of Tung Sol 6L6GC in my Supro 1688 clone. They roar.
f601441784.jpg
:-) Nice I will have to try those!
bepone

Post by bepone »

better than 6L6GC is 7027, from russian factories. it is not 100% pin compatible, one pin is different so caution. no big problem for DIY community , 5 min of rewiring needed
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Phew - still seem to be available on TAD website - I use them in a few amps and they do sound great - may need to order a couple of sets while they have them.

Niki
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

statorvane wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:47 am I've been very happy with a pair of Tung Sol 6L6GC in my Supro 1688 clone. They roar.
f601441784.jpg
Seconded on the Tung Sol... I used a set of Tung Sol 6L6GC STR in my #124 and they seem pretty great. That amp has been through a set of JJ, a set of TAD 6L6WGC, and now the Tung Sol. The Tung Sol are my favorite so far.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
rooster

Post by rooster »

I'm a big fan of the JJ 6L6, I think their design and sound are unique among the current offerings. If you're playing at bedroom levels then maybe they are not for you, understood. FWIW, I've always been a BIG fan of the Philips STR 387 or the 415 double getter, and this JJ tube reminds me of it more than any other tube being made today.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

They are not discontinued, they just changed the base from black to red because of a change in the manufacturing factory.

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/6l6wgc ... mber=RT811
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 am They are not discontinued, they just changed the base from black to red because of a change in the manufacturing factory.

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/6l6wgc ... mber=RT811
The ' red base' 6L6WGC-STR tubes are most likely Tung sol 6L6GC tubes that are made in Russia.
I guess TAD just gave these tubes the WGC-STR designation since the Chinese made tubes where no longer available.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Agreed. Since those don’t seem to be available in the states, I am guessing Tung Sol will only let them sell those tubes from the TAD store.
CW
talbany

Post by talbany »

Word I am hearing is the Factory in China burned down months back. They continued selling until they liquidated their stock and called it. As was mentioned earlier TAD switched suppliers over to Tung Sol, a real shame seeing those go!. Nice tube!. As far as a personal preference from here goes. Depends on the amp. For a Fender replacement in an old Blackface or Tweed I like the Tung Sols a bit better and as for an ODS I prefer the mids from the JJ's especially in something like a Low Plate "Classic" Style. and are more in the direction of a big bottle STR mentioned earlier in the thread.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"