Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ijedouglas

Recent Dumble pic

Post by ijedouglas »

Andy Fuchs found this on Don Felder's Instagram account

Pretty cool
Screenshot_20210513-205301.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
dbharris

Re: Recent Dumble pic

Post by dbharris »

Glad to see HAD is doing well and still rocking the headband!

-Dan
xtian

Post by xtian »

Crystal Lettuce Unicorn sighting! :shock:
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
drew

Post by drew »

“Rebuilt?” What, two resistors and a new PT?
hermannbjorgvin

Post by hermannbjorgvin »

drew wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:09 pm “Rebuilt?” What, two resistors and a new PT?
The demanding and exacting nature of that work should not be understated, when his fingers wizz by the caps he can measure resistance of the relative air humidity and tell when it should be replaced. His x-ray vision probably detected the internal short in the PT way before he even opened up the amp. So you can tell why Felder is amazed at his capabilities, lighting never strikes in two places type of deal. Well worth the $2000 bill probably.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

To be fair, my understanding is a rebuilt amp by HAD would be something like him removing all parts from the chassis. Cleaning it, putting the original board back in (with any mods) and then rewiring the whole amp, sometimes with transformer swaps. I have read comments like that from good sources here over the years. For instance, one thread I was able to find quickly: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... it=rebuild

But I have no personal knowledge, so take that for what it's worth.

-Dan
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Great picture! I didn't know he was still working. Which i could meet with him.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Don Felders relationship with Dumble was likely established through Jackson Browne very early. Glen Frey at one time lived in the same building as Jackson (and said he was constantly writing and could hear him play piano all day)The Eagles back line in the 70's consisted with mostly Deluxe reverbs modified by H.A.D. I am sure some of those amps probably made their way into some iconic Eagles recordings..
Good to see him still working away..
BTW. The last time I spoke with Rick Derringer he said he finally got the opportunity to visit him and said his place was stacked floor to ceiling with old Salvaged amplifiers. :lol:
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

talbany wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:59 am Don Felders relationship with Dumble was likely established through Jackson Browne very early. Glen Frey at one time lived in the same building as Jackson (and said he was constantly writing and could hear him play piano all day)The Eagles back line in the 70's consisted with mostly Deluxe reverbs modified by H.A.D. I am sure some of those amps probably made their way into some iconic Eagles recordings..
Good to see him still working away..
BTW. The last time I spoke with Rick Derringer he said he finally got the opportunity to visit him and said his place was stacked floor to ceiling with old Salvaged amplifiers. :lol:
Tony
Don talks about his relationship with HAD and his modded amps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMJIfmaVzM at around 24:20 :)
Ian
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

He looks like a killer.
dbharris wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:43 pm To be fair, my understanding is a rebuilt amp by HAD would be something like him removing all parts from the chassis. Cleaning it, putting the original board back in ...
There I start to disagree. How reminiscent of the original, his Tweedle Dee Deluxe board can be, it has been completely redesigned by him. Also the board doesn't look like it has been soldered-desoldered-etc even though it is unlikely that he went just right the first time, so I really wonder how he does his prototyping/research work, for I'm almost sure he does prior to assembling the finished product.

Thanks for the link, by the way! The jokes made me smile, though... :wink:
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

In the linked PG Rig Rundown above, Felder says HAD is restoring his '65 Deluxe to original condition, but I wonder if he won't make some subtle improvements? HAD is looking pretty good there, and keeping himself busy. Interesting Felder is content to play through an ordinary DRRI at that show.

I have a '65 Deluxe Reverb replica project going at the moment, which has quite a bit of Dumble influence: Some part choices, a PI trimmer, and a D-inspired ground scheme. No pot bushings are used as grounds, and there is no brass plate. All together, cleaning up the grounds and adding the PI trimmer required adding four eyelets to the AB763 board.
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

The few amps I’ve seen from him were fully rebuild (at least the boards) and very clean. This make me thinks he knew what to do precisely.
In Jess book there’s an interview of a friend of him working on board writing he just ditch the full board if it doesn’t sound properly and rebuild again.

Nice to see him, thought it was a joke at first.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

martin manning wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:31 am In the linked PG Rig Rundown above, Felder says HAD is restoring his '65 Deluxe to original condition, but I wonder if he won't make some subtle improvements? HAD is looking pretty good there, and keeping himself busy. Interesting Felder is content to play through an ordinary DRRI at that show.

I have a '65 Deluxe Reverb replica project going at the moment, which has quite a bit of Dumble influence: Some part choices, a PI trimmer, and a D-inspired ground scheme. No pot bushings are used as grounds, and there is no brass plate. All together, cleaning up the grounds and adding the PI trimmer required adding four eyelets to the AB763 board.
FWIW: I'm fairly sure the "shielding plate" was in-fact a time saver. Leo being how he was about cost, I suspect that plate allowed a pre-wire of the front panel and a convenient place to do your grounding. Whether it's correct" grounding or not remains to be seen. Obviously HAD didn't agree (I don't either), but there is no metallurgical reason that adding brass to a plated steel chassis does a thing for shielding. It's an assembly time-saver and a grounding advantage, period.... as you were... Loved the pic. HAD certainly looks better than I expected.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

mojotom wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:49 am This make me thinks he knew what to do precisely.
When you have enough experience working with, modding amps, and doing calculations, you can sort of start hearing circuit changes in your head, before even doing the work. The more familiar you are with a circuit, the easier that becomes, too. HAD has about 60 years of modding amps under his belt, so I wouldn't doubt he'd be able to do this.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Well, maybe he is as clever as I can dream but I'm still somewhat dubious, especially when it comes to building an awesome - vs. good - amp.
FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:16 pm FWIW: I'm fairly sure the "shielding plate" was in-fact a time saver. Leo being how he was about cost, I suspect that plate allowed a pre-wire of the front panel and a convenient place to do your grounding. Whether it's correct" grounding or not remains to be seen. Obviously HAD didn't agree (I don't either),
For what's worth: HAD appeared to having kept the brass plate in his Tweedle Dee Deluxe.