Bonamassa's ODS #80

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Matt J

Bonamassa's ODS #80

Post by Matt J »

So Joe Bonamassa recently posted these pictures on his Instagram page. It appears he's picked up ODS #80. Anyone here ever had any encounters with this particular amp? It has "Don Alvarado" listed on the back. Bonamassa included a picture of an old Hollywood actor with the same name as a joke when showing the pack panel.

As far as I know, this is the highest serial # for an ODS I've seen that was still using a silver face chassis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. dB

Re: Bonamassa's ODS #80

Post by Mr. dB »

The "Don Alvarado" looks like a photo alteration to me, it's not at the same angle as the rear panel.
jph118

Post by jph118 »

Matt J wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm As far as I know, this is the highest serial # for an ODS I've seen that was still using a silver face chassis.
Is that a white faceplate on the front panel? Don't think I've seen one of those on an ODS before, but i'm far from an expert.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Matt J wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm As far as I know, this is the highest serial # for an ODS I've seen that was still using a silver face chassis.
I think there are a few 7th gen ODS with silver chassis.

Thanks,
Aaron
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

the weird thing is it looks like there is a can cap towards the area where v1 would normally be. Which makes me think is a pcb board version, the brown combo that was posted up a while ago
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

splgeo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:33 am the weird thing is it looks like there is a can cap towards the area where v1 would normally be. Which makes me think is a pcb board version, the brown combo that was posted up a while ago
I noticed that too. Very odd!
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

Here is a picture of the one I am referring to. low plate classic tone stack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Joe seems to be selling this amp now

https://wildwestguitars.com/extras/1984 ... -bonamassa
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

I was looking at this on Reverb today... 140k is just sooooo much money. I wonder if they just put that huge number out there just in case, but might accept a significantly lower price.

Does anyone happen to know the highest verifiable amount someone has paid for one of these amps?
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Mr. dB wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:20 pm The "Don Alvarado" looks like a photo alteration to me, it's not at the same angle as the rear panel.
I played this amp about 2 years ago and can confirm the "Don Alvarado" was stock screen printed. I didn't get a lot of time with it so couldn't really form an opinion on it (although it was hellish loud). I do remember noticing the chassis didn't fit that well into the cab, almost like they didn't belong together. You can see a slight gap between the bottom of the faceplate and the grill... it's much larger and noticeable upfront.

Edit: found a pic I took that shows this well
IMG_20190918_183109.jpg
Ian
Dexterosa

Post by Dexterosa »

For what its worth I sold this amp to Bonamassa, it was a very interesting amp. Our guess was that this amp was started early on then shelved for quite sometime then finished? My theory is that this amp was most likely the prototype or test mule of some sort for all of the later pcb amps? It was a very loud noisy beast. Interestingly the cleans were just so so but the amp sounded great for very high gain lead tones. I talked to mr D about it via email and he asked for lots of photos then stopped responding, (eventually he replied to tell me that if i ever sold the amp he would litigate…) I am no Dumble expert but glad i was able to have this one in my possession for a few years.I got to use it on an album and had lots of interesting experiences surounding it. I have just recently built a clone of sorts out of a cheap kit and have been enjoying learning more about the Dumble circuit. Which led me here to you fine folks! So its funny to stumble upon this thread! Lol
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Dexterosa wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:58 pm eventually he replied to tell me that if i ever sold the amp he would litigate…
Sounds like a nice guy....
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

This exact amp has been modeled for the ToneX Pedal. Comes with the Max software with purchase. Don't ask me how I know. :roll:
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo