AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by Bombacaototal »

The reason is: JM wanted to be able to quickly adjust Gain and Master on the fly during a song (like SRV and Hendrix did) and that is why he wanted them together and separate from the rest
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm The reason is: JM wanted to be able to quickly adjust Gain and Master on the fly during a song (like SRV and Hendrix did) and that is why he wanted them together and separate from the rest
Interesting Rafael! Thanks for that bit of information. Mark Fowler commented about this being a very low gain amp and the placement of the Gain knob made no difference in the stability in his amp. I just thought it was a bit odd and not exactly good from the design perspective.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am
Don't overthink these things :D

M
Thank Marcus, great advice. I usually do overthink the circuit indeed
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Colossal wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm The reason is: JM wanted to be able to quickly adjust Gain and Master on the fly during a song (like SRV and Hendrix did) and that is why he wanted them together and separate from the rest
Interesting Rafael! Thanks for that bit of information. Mark Fowler commented about this being a very low gain amp and the placement of the Gain knob made no difference in the stability in his amp. I just thought it was a bit odd and not exactly good from the design perspective.
No worries, happy to help.If you watch this video which was during the time JM was developing the Sig, you can see him adjusting the controls during the song. He did this a lot during the Trio but I am glad he stopped afterwards lol.

https://youtu.be/YfLkO3uwBlQ
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:00 pm No worries, happy to help.If you watch this video which was during the time JM was developing the Sig, you can see him adjusting the controls during the song. He did this a lot during the Trio but I am glad he stopped afterwards lol.

https://youtu.be/YfLkO3uwBlQ
Great video. I am always reminded what a monster JM is. One of those massive, natural talents that has music running through his veins. Man, I want new parents :cry: :lol: 8) Great sounding amp, for sure! I love the clarity and note separation. I play Les Pauls (low output pickups) so am wondering how they might fare. But as Marcus said, he plays his D'Angelico through one so I am sure it is good. I'm looking for a clean that is not Fender clean, something different. I do like high plate cleans. Everybody raves about this circuit though.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Not to mention ODRS #59 in the middle!

Aaron
luistrindade83

Post by luistrindade83 »

Hello,

I´m new to forum, I´ve just found it while I was searching for a new project, that I´ve decided to be the Wonderland by AN. To this point I´ve only built Fender and Marshalls type of tube amps, 5e3, 5f1, 5f10, Plexi. None of them with reverb, so I´m searching for some help to found a suitable reverb driver and reverb tank for this construction. The brand I´m looking in is Hammond for the reverb driver and MOD or accutronics for the tank. Anyone to help me? Sorry for the english, is not my native language and thank you all in advance.

best regards,
Luís
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think probably the best options for that are to buy the reverb transformer and pan from hoffman amps. They're the common style used in most fender amps. The brand, so far as I've heard, of the reverb tank doesn't matter much now, all are equally pretty horrible. They break easily, and have poor construction overall.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
luistrindade83

Post by luistrindade83 »

Thank you for the suggestion, but I’m Portuguese, and buying material from outside the European Union is expensive. I would prefer the models that I can use, the matching pan/driver so I can search them in European shops. Thanks.

Luís
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Hi Luis, Tube Town and Tube Amp Doctor have reverb components.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Trans ... :8098.html

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/de/
luistrindade83

Post by luistrindade83 »

Thank you, Martin. I work regularly with both of those shops, they are very reliable and have a great range of products. But in this case what I need is to understand how to chose and match the components. Wich specifications do I have to know to choose the reverb driver and the tank for a project. When I choose the output transformer and power transformer I know what to look for, in this case I have some doubts.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

This is the standard tube and transformer driven reverb you see in Fender amps. The Hammond part is 1750A transformer with 22.8 k ohm input and 8 ohm output. Choose an 8 ohm tank according to your preference. A type 4AB3C1B wold be the typical 17” Fender 2-spring long delay unit.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah,

Basically, there's only a few reverb tanks, and you have to choose a reverb driver that matches the tank. 4 ohm, 8 ohm etc. So get a secondary impedance on the transformer that matches the tank you're planning on using, and you're good. It's not super complex. There are really only a few models commonly out there.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Roe

Post by Roe »

somax19 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 pm Hi,
I built more wonderland,Jm sign ,SSS etc... type amp. I would like to build now a TR Classic Reverb Sig ,but I dont know the operational of gain structure switch
I think is a 3 way cathode resistor/bypass cap switch...or something else:) I watched the CLRS gutshot but I couldn't figure out.
Does anyone the schem of gain structure switch?
(sorry my bad english)

Thx
Laszlo
I tried one of these recently. seems like a modified or evolved JM circuit. the gain structure switch was almost subtle. Its a very clean sounding amp with a little breakup. Still, I'd like to know how the gain structure switch affects the 1m/68k divider
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s