Reverse relay state for footswitch LEDS? SOLVED!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Re: Reverse relay state for footswitch LEDS?

Post by erwin_ve »

rogb wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:52 am
martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:18 pm
rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:01 pm
I've tried all ways. But not with the 2 x 5v from the 1K resistors on the PS. Maybe I need to run the 2 separate 5v supplies to pins 1 and 5? As per the layout
There are a number of ways to make it work. See here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 006#p55006 for the original D ODS style, where a supply lead for each function runs to the XLR/DIN jack, with the current limiting resistors on the chassis side. That means 5 pins are needed for two functions. I prefer to run a single 12V or 5V supply lead through the jack, and put the current limiting resistors in the foot switch, Then 5 pins can support three functions.
Thanks Martin I have always made my footswitch this way. The annoying thing is that the switches work fine without the LEDS and with LEDS on 5 or 12v, also work, but somehow the LEDS are getting powered in the OFF state rather than ON. I have tried every way I can find so far.
FOOTSWITCH_3.jpg
Did you try connecting the led to the left lug of the fsw(referringto the brownnote layout)?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

rogb wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:52 amI have always made my footswitch this way....
That BN diagram shows a single power lead (Red) going to the LED common, and a ground lead (Black). LED's and leads from the relay coils are grounded together to turn on the LED and the relay. Relay coils and LEDs get the full supply voltage, with current limiting resistors for the LED's in the foot switch. All good, and the same as Stephen's schematic except for the pin numbering. Can you test your foot switch by itself by clipping the supply to Red, and ground to Black? You should see the LED's come on when the switches are closed, and continuity to ground on the corresponding jack pins.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

rogb wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:54 am
Stephen1966 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:48 pm Pretty sure this would work for you. If they are non-latching relays the flyback diode on the coil orientation could go either way.

The LED B+ is part of the line that feeds the coils, switching a relay off breaks the continuity to ground. Seems your LEDs are providing a path to ground with the relay off. Curious!

This design works though...

LEDs + Relays.jpg

Edit: Just noticed I've got my relay ports mislabelled for the chassis switches on the schematic. Ports out on the relays are correct though and the switches themselves are labelled correctly. I corrected this and replaced it with a correct schematic.
Thanks Stephen that looks helpful. I'll study the schematic and see how much rewiring is needed.
Sure no problem. You will see I have two LEDs for each relay - one in the chassis and one in the pedal. Of course, you don't need to arrange it like that; you can omit the chassis led and load resistor on the relay part of the schematic. Should work just as well.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
rogb

Post by rogb »

Thanks for the solutions offered. It is now working fine!
For some reason, maybe short of time back in 2017 as I was going overseas, I had connected the LED power from the 5v voltage regulator, probably to just test it, who knows? Anyway, it needed the 5v power from the PS to pins 1 and 5 separately.

I then ran the 2x5v from the pair of 1K on the PS board to pins 1 and 5, as Dumble did, powered each LED individually, then hooked them up to a separate pole on the switch, both working perfectly and relays switching fine.

Could be that the little flatpack 12v transformer was having problems supplying enough current tapping in at either 5v or 12v voltage regulators.

The 1K's I had installed on the PS mean no resistors needed in the footswitch.

I have never really used DIYLC but I felt obligated to try and show what I did, may help someone down the line.

Thank you Martin, Stephen and Erwin, you guys are the best!
ODS footswitch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.