Non-NOS component choices

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bepone

Re: Non-NOS component choices

Post by bepone »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:53 pm i shared this search list in another thread. Felt it was a good link to share here concerning finding modern available Carbon films for the B+ string .

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-compon ... r%20Rating
i have ton of hi wattage iskra 1K to 10k waiting to be used..for the moment i didnt use them in guitar amps.. what i will get if i put them in B+ dropping string? i have never think other than increasing the noise because of high current passages .. but i saw also dumble used them there...something i just refuse to copy :lol:
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

bepone wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:27 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:53 pm i shared this search list in another thread. Felt it was a good link to share here concerning finding modern available Carbon films for the B+ string .

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-compon ... r%20Rating
i have ton of hi wattage iskra 1K to 10k waiting to be used..for the moment i didnt use them in guitar amps.. what i will get if i put them in B+ dropping string? i have never think other than increasing the noise because of high current passages .. but i saw also dumble used them there...something i just refuse to copy :lol:
Imo iskra specifically in the B+ will make things noticeably stiffer and clearer. Strong. You know that feeling where the strings seem just a bit heavier to bend and the pick doesn’t glide as smoothly from string to string ? I don’t know maybe most don’t , but that’s what I felt in Marshall clones

I like to mix them with other brands and compositions . Never tried em in dumble type circuitry
Charlie
bepone

Post by bepone »

i like "strong" and "heavy" sound.. but to be more precise i want to test Iskra CF's 2-3W.. wirewound from 4-10W not so...always i was connecting carbon film with "muddiness".. not clarity.. i have one 183 under tweaking, easy to find out :lol:
also bias leak will try too
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

WhopperPlate wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:10 pm Was thinking about other Non nos parts I have tried, and one interested power resistor were the Mills non inductive resistors . Expensive , but tank like ratings and it was pretty startling how swapping it into the b+ line determined the response of the amplifier .

Again , kinda like the takman effects on the signal path , I felt like I was under the magnifying glass . The amplifier slapped me around , felt like it had more output power because of the lack of distortion , not as bouncy and gainy, but the dimension was crazy . Not brittle , but wow was it loud in my ears and head . Stout was a word used to describe it .

That amp wasn’t mine, so it was changed to deliver a softer sound, but it’s something I want to try out again Soon.
What value? If low value, then just inserted in series with the dropping string?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

dorrisant wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:28 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:10 pm Was thinking about other Non nos parts I have tried, and one interested power resistor were the Mills non inductive resistors . Expensive , but tank like ratings and it was pretty startling how swapping it into the b+ line determined the response of the amplifier .

Again , kinda like the takman effects on the signal path , I felt like I was under the magnifying glass . The amplifier slapped me around , felt like it had more output power because of the lack of distortion , not as bouncy and gainy, but the dimension was crazy . Not brittle , but wow was it loud in my ears and head . Stout was a word used to describe it .

That amp wasn’t mine, so it was changed to deliver a softer sound, but it’s something I want to try out again Soon.
What value? If low value, then just inserted in series with the dropping string?
Simply using them in the stock values for any given amplifier ; for typical dumble 2k2, 22k, and 2k2 . I have even used them as the screen resistors. No additional resistors . Be cool to replace choke as an experiment . They come in large enough power ratings
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

bepone wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:33 pm i like "strong" and "heavy" sound.. but to be more precise i want to test Iskra CF's 2-3W.. wirewound from 4-10W not so...always i was connecting carbon film with "muddiness".. not clarity.. i have one 183 under tweaking, easy to find out :lol:
also bias leak will try too
I think it was talbany who said it already , iskra have a strong thick 2nd order harmonic going on and a big round bass“ . To me that roundness is fat low mid and meaty and pushes in a mix , but also lends itself to that collapsing bass sound that Marshall’s can get . The “clearness “ I mentioned is more like a high mid clarity , not exactly like a pristine open anything. “Articulate “ was a word used . Again, think classic late 60s Marshall. I get similar effects whether using them in the signal path or the B+ string .
Last edited by WhopperPlate on Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

talbany wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 am Let me know if you have any spare 220K's I need 1 for my OD entrance :lol:
You still need one? :wink:
Charlie
talbany

Post by talbany »

WhopperPlate wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:33 am
talbany wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 am Let me know if you have any spare 220K's I need 1 for my OD entrance :lol:
You still need one? :wink:
Yes Iskra's are a favorite of mine. Similar to a Phier but has a clear/ cleaner midrange w/ the classic big rounded lows.. Love em!
Hey Charlie
Yes I do PM sent

Thanks

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"