Dumble inspired built..

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davescustom

Dumble inspired built..

Post by davescustom »

First of all I want to thanks all the members from this forum for the immense compilation of amazing stuff with some very nice guys.

After reading a lot and learning alot in this forum I think this is my first post but I hope the first of many.

I have decided to rip an old amp that I had here to try my version of a D amp.

I've mixed several schematics from different versions to build "at my taste". For example the #124 clean with #101 HRM OD and some TR JM signature with some of my mods. I've built in one Kleinulator but didn't liked it because the too much mid range added with no bass.. so I've modded it to my needs based on AMZ site and one post from user bluesfendermanblues.. I don't have the knowledge that many of you so all my mods are based on trials..

I've uploaded on Youtube some demo videos to ask you if that is an acceptable D amp.
The videos were captured with my cellphone and just noodling after long years without playing. The EQ settings are the same for the strat and the LP. just changed gain volume bright switch and pickup positions. Red light is the OD, green light is the clean channel with bright switch engaged and no light is the normal clean.

The LP video was recorded without touching the volume pots on guitar, LP has split coils option but I think it's clear when was used.
The Strat is a normal SSS with GFS pickups (unshielded)
The Speaker is a Warehouse ET-65

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQv16hTx7y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnAThCsY0o4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrzkghOuvk8

Hope you like it
Last edited by davescustom on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
da Geezer

Re: Dumble inspired built..

Post by da Geezer »

Hello Dave!

Sounds wonderful to me....the question is, are YOU happy with it?

Sounds like it could/would really sing when cranked up a bit.

Good work!

G
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I thought the last video sounded really excellent and very Dumblish.

Thanks for sharing your work! with respect, 10thtx
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Sounds like a Dumble or TR to me, good job.
danotron

Post by danotron »

I liked the last video the best....!
The Blues is my Business....
and Business is good.....
davescustom

Post by davescustom »

Sorry for the late reply..I´m happy with the positive replys, not my first amp built but first Dumble attempt. :) :) :)

I´ve been busy improving the amp sound (and job working.. ). Basically on the OD to nail more the Dumble throaty sound (I saw one amazing video.. and thinked: I want that!! retaining also my original sound (I liked it..) Since the videos i added a OD Tone pot with 3 frequency range and a switch for the OD voicing. Improved also the modded Kleinulator.

The video is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI3380ZRgMA

Later i will post a video of mine (not the same sound but.... all Dumbles are also different.....so....) :)

I think, from now on, I just have to make the faceplates.

PS: I´m not tying to reinvent the wheel (there´s a lot of people with way more knowledge here...) but I try to make an open mind approach.. For those who complain about the clipping of the first FET of Kleinulator.. give a try to a MPF102 instead of the J201.
davescustom

Post by davescustom »

Here is the video.

Started with bypassed Fx-loop ended with bypassed. Also since the last videos i removed the power and stanby switches to the back.

Recorded on the fly with the cellphone. I need to start practicing.... :oops:

Once more hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyEbvLhl16M

Need to make the faceplates and a facelift to the cabs... (made the cabs some years ago)
davescustom

Post by davescustom »

Update..

Being this forum a place of sharing.

Here is the schematic of my amp (with a few mods since the last video).
Added my version of kleinulator in the schematic.. The "Fet-lator" :P
The strange component values are correct. But suggestions are welcome.

David

EDIT: in the entry of Fet-lator the two 1M resistors are 2M (or 2M2)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
groovtubin

throaty

Post by groovtubin »

davescustom wrote:Sorry for the late reply..I´m happy with the positive replys, not my first amp built but first Dumble attempt. :) :) :)

I´ve been busy improving the amp sound (and job working.. ). Basically on the OD to nail more the Dumble throaty sound (I saw one amazing video.. and thinked: I want that!! retaining also my original sound (I liked it..) Since the videos i added a OD Tone pot with 3 frequency range and a switch for the OD voicing. Improved also the modded Kleinulator.

The video is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI3380ZRgMA

Later i will post a video of mine (not the same sound but.... all Dumbles are also different.....so....) :)

I think, from now on, I just have to make the faceplates.

PS: I´m not tying to reinvent the wheel (there´s a lot of people with way more knowledge here...) but I try to make an open mind approach.. For those who complain about the clipping of the first FET of Kleinulator.. give a try to a MPF102 instead of the J201.
My bet is thats a HRM in the video you like..course could be wrong!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Sounds very good for a first attempt.

Welcome to the Amp Garage.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
davescustom

Post by davescustom »

Thanks for the positive comments :wink:

Here is my final version

- Removed LNF on fxLoop (because changes frequency while changing return and recovery pots)
- Reduced NFB cap (from 0.6 to 0.5) to increase a little the bass on poweramp (videos were made with 0.4uf cap)
- New values on cathode resistors on V1 (to smooth the breakup)
- Reduced Cathode bypass Caps on V2 (the old values are too muddy with single coils but good with bridge humbuckers)
- Removed conection to ground on PPIMV (I didn't had in mine and when tried it almost melted the amp...)
- Snubbers added to V2 (I know.... a HRM with snubbers... :shock: )

And this is my final version.. tired of mods.. i'm gonna close the amp and enjoying it (and learn to play a little more).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davescustom

Post by davescustom »

Recorded to much off center (darker sound).. next time i do better..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oE5RHIrXMc