SSS KT88 schematic and info?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mobisimo

Re: SSS KT88 schematic and info?

Post by mobisimo »

Kinda similar to OP's posts above, but could use the HAD Music Man power supply Tony posted here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =music+man. This would lead to a design like the one TM had in mind here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ght=driver
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Here's the direction I'm heading right now. The transformer could be a custom wind or a combination of off-the-shelf components. sh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Luthierwnc wrote:Here's the direction I'm heading right now. The transformer could be a custom wind or a combination of off-the-shelf components. sh
You could eliminate some parts by omitting the FWB in the bias supply.

TM
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

If you are going for a 2xKT88 design, you could go with something like this:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6s100

It is Weber's 6S100, which is 2xKT88 using Marshall Iron for around 100W. You'll notice that it is a take on an old Sunn 100S design, but the implementation here is without the UL taps. It likely would be fairly straight forward to slap a post-PI driver on there and call it a day.
talbany

Post by talbany »

mhartman wrote:If you are going for a 2xKT88 design, you could go with something like this:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6s100

It is Weber's 6S100, which is 2xKT88 using Marshall Iron for around 100W. You'll notice that it is a take on an old Sunn 100S design, but the implementation here is without the UL taps. It likely would be fairly straight forward to slap a post-PI driver on there and call it a day.
If he bought that kit he would still have the same issues with the KT-88's

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

If you just want a pair of KT88 go with the Marshall Park-75 transformers.
This amp is my design it has a few Dumble implements to it but mostly my original designs.
It's still in the works sorry no gut shots. It has precision power supply, PAB, reverb, dual bias supply. FET.
It can use 6550A of KT88 quad. six position step filters no inductor. It can use Dumbleland PI or SSS PI.
So it's flex able . This amp has nothing to do with SSS #1-#4 if it is too loud it has a effects loop,
This is five years of my life sorry Nik you are not getting this one ever.
The other one I'm building has Magnatone Vibrato, reverb, #07 SSS filter board 400 watt OPT
It should be a kickass bass amp. This is the end of my amp building.
I'm satisfied with my past builds this is my hobby I don't sell what I build.

Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Thanks all. There seems to be a schism between running KT88s at fairly high plate volts and slightly less on the screens or very high plate volts and half that on the screens. They both must work at some level. The more difficult part of the SSS build seems to be the high negative voltage on the drive tube. No wimpy bias tap, that.

67, I might be at the end of the string too. I just finished the last gizmo (preamp) to go with the last amp I'll probably get to for a long time. I also got a couple guitars out the door. Hell, I'm even cleaning the shop. Expect flying pigs next.

Cheers, sh