Most common software

Design and discussion around PCB Design that doens't suck!

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

Most common software

Post by dragonbat13 »

I want to take a stab at etching my own boards.

I have done some searching but it's not very useful.

The thing is that I don't want to use something that isn't well known and used by most..

I plan on doing a simple, pre tested circuit like a boss board or something of that nature before my own circuit.

What software do most people use for layouts and PCB board design, ect? In other words, where to start?

I mainly frequent this forum and Hoffman's forum.

EDIT: Nevermind. Mods please delete. 🙄🙄
didit

Re: Most common software

Post by didit »

Hello -

Others doubtless should reply also. I settled on never again etching and instead use PCB fabs to make boards from my designs. The stink and mess, and the innate process hassles leading to poor results ain't worth it.

And so, after a few passes of investigation and experimentation, comfortable having settled on KiCad for schematic capture and board layout. Many reasons added into the decision, included the price (free) and longer-term plan for larger projects that will entail fairly complicated mixed digital and analogue. I have done three small boards successfully so far. I found it was easy but understand some might be daunted. Much of my last 30 years has been spent in deep in a morass of various complex software systems. The various threads already posted in this area provide advice along the spirit of your request, so absent other replies recommend reading those messages. Also recommend looking at some "DIY pedal" sites for your advice.

Best .. Ian
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

Yes I've decided it's much more feasible to have boards printed by someone else.

I also think I'm gonna try KiCad myself. I had not read that sticky recently so I think I'm more informed on which way to go.

Thanks for the reply.
imjonwain

Post by imjonwain »

EAGLE and Diptrace are solid commercial options but I vote Kicad. Version 6 is due out soon and will be a huge improvement over 5.x.

If you don't mind spending a bit more $$ on boards compared with overseas pricing check out OSHpark. Their boards US sourced, ENIG plated, ROHS, and on TG175 by default. With those options checked overseas fab prices aren't much less.
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics