Diylc layout to pcb

Design and discussion around PCB Design that doens't suck!

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Steveo

Diylc layout to pcb

Post by Steveo »

Hello, i want to make a pcb for an amp i built. I have a schematic of it and also have a diylc layout of it. Is there a way to use what i have to go about making a pcb? I was told kicad and express pcb are pretty good but i dont know how to use them. Do they except diylc or a schematic file and render them to some kind of pcb design?
Thanks
Colossal

Re: Diylc layout to pcb

Post by Colossal »

ExpressPCB's software is a joy to use and is far easier than Kicad. It depends on what you need. The tradeoff with ExpressPCB is a limited number of choices with that service. For instance, you are limited to one board thickness (0.0625"), one copper pour weight (I think 0.25oz, but don't quote me on that), green soldermask only, white silkscreen, etc. If you want black boards, gold vias, and a 2oz copper pour, then you have to go to a company that takes Gerber or other files and that means learning Kicad or Eagle (or other). There may some other alternatives. You might contact Lou of Luigi Designs (see For Sale section) or perhaps other guys that are producing PCBs here might chime in.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Unfortunatly automatic generated pcb is not the way to go.(I assume that's what you're looking for).
Component placement and thicknesses of traces and groundplanes all have a minor to big effect on the outcome of the amp.
Kicad is wonderfull, has a steep learning curve. Schematics and pcb work together in Kicad.

I use Sprint layout. It doesn't have schematic options but is easy to learn I had my first pcb made with this program and still do use it on a regular basis... It exports to Gerber which allow you to have your pcb made anywhere you like.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

If you're looking for a couple of boards or a board set, let me know. I can use a DIYLC file to generate the appropriate files and engrave them. It is a cool program... I use it a lot for amp layouts that I convert to files for turret boards.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Steveo

Post by Steveo »

Thanks for all the replies. I think i will have to dive into these programs now.