Generic PCB designs - Preamp, LTPI, FX, Power

Design and discussion around PCB Design that doens't suck!

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Snowman3k

Re: Generic PCB designs - Preamp, LTPI, FX, Power

Post by Snowman3k »

Very smart idea for prototyping! I've seen a Brunetti Mille preamp prototype that was done in the same way!
tristanc

PCB files - better late than never

Post by tristanc »

I've uploaded all my KiCAD source files and Gerbers to here: https://github.com/tristancollins/amps

I'll probably add some description to go along, but in the meantime if anyone is interested in trying them I'll be happy to answer any questions.
rccolgan

Re: PCB files - better late than never

Post by rccolgan »

tristanc wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:33 pm I've uploaded all my KiCAD source files and Gerbers to here: https://github.com/tristancollins/amps

I'll probably add some description to go along, but in the meantime if anyone is interested in trying them I'll be happy to answer any questions.
Nice! Glad to see GitHub being used more for these types of things around here 8) Thank you for sharing!
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

Hi,

I was trying to zip up the gerbers and upload them to JLPCB, for some reason they dont fit the format,
Also I am interested in your reverb board, and did not see gerbers for that,

Anyway just FYI I was having no luck with what is on GIThub
I am also brand new to KiCad and had no luck importing the projects, but that is likely my fault.

Steve
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

Could you please kindly provide gerber files in RS-274X format?

this is what JLPCB said about the files..
tristanc

Post by tristanc »

I've added the reverb board Gerbers. But these are in 'normal' format which is fine for PCBway and many other fab places. I've never used JLPCB...

I'm more concerned that you can't open the source files. You should be able to open the ".pro" file, open the pcb file and export the Gerbers in RS-274X following JLPCB's instructions: https://support.jlcpcb.com/article/44-h ... rber-files

If anyone else sees this, can they let me know if they can open the files?

In the meantime, I'll try and upload RS-274X versions - keep an eye on GitHub.
tristanc

Post by tristanc »

steve07868 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:38 pm Could you please kindly provide gerber files in RS-274X format?

this is what JLPCB said about the files..
I've put them up - let me know if JLPCB accept them.

Tristan
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

Maybe I am doing something wrong here, I am trying to download the gerbers as you have them on github , put them in one folder and make a zip file
they upload the zip file, usually the automated system can read the file and even shows an image of the board, on JLPCB that is not happening.
I also tried PCBWAY and their online viewer just showed a blob, I usually trust the image to help me know that the board I uploaded looks correct.
I have an email in to JLPCB to see if he can open the new files manually, but its nighttime in china now, yeah I dont care if I have to use PCBway the costs are similar.
Sorry to be a pain.

Steve
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

also on the KICAD thing I domwloaded the project files and get all sorts of errors trying to open the pro file, some are related links at github, t know much about kicad I had just downloaded the newest version and installed it.
tristanc

Post by tristanc »

Something's up at your end.

I've just downloaded the repository afresh as a zip from github (https://github.com/tristancollins/amps/ ... master.zip), expanded it, navigated to the Reverb board, zipped the GerbersX directory and uploaded it to PCBway.

I also opened the .pro file with no issue. So github doesn't seem to be mangling anything. The directory should be self-contained...

Try the above afresh?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

That worked I even was able to use JLPCB and I have the same image on screen, of the reverb board,
I must have been doing something wrong with the files, or making the zip
thanks are the reverb I assume the reverb and loop cards are two different cards right?

Steve
tristanc

Post by tristanc »

Great - glad you're up and running. Keep me posted on how the build goes.

Yes, you'd need both (the SS ones) and the loop has the take-off point to feed the reverb.
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

you know downloading that whole source as a zip file then working on the folders, has fixed the issue with KICAD too, something about how I was building my own folders and zips was wrong, I even tried some of the older gerbers and they load just fine on JLPCB, I must have fat fingered something or just not had all the files in the right folders.
Thanks again this will be a huge help to learn KICAD
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

Tristan I built the loop board into another amp I had, it works great and sounds as good as the tube loop in my big amp
Thanks,I plan to try the reverb in the same amp..soon..
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

Hey just FYI I used your loop and reverb boards in one of my test amps, I had a major buzz hum with the reverb board on the 6.3 line,
I was curious how you rectify and ground the heater supply when the center tap is raised to a positive DC voltage?

In my amp it did not work well at all, which makes sense as soon as you hookup the ground you create a massive buzz, but just having the heaters
connected to the reverb board there was also a mean buzz,

I solved the issue because I had a 5V rectifier line that was not being used, therefore isolating the reverb boards supply from my heaters.
FYI , I guess your boards may be designed to all work together which I may try at some point later.
Thanks again for the cool pcbs..