Head shell for 1959

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Head shell for 1959

Post by Geeze »

I've played with this idea for over a year wanting to wrap / morph / stylize a dragon on a cab for a 1959. The last insanity was having a dragon claw bursting from the curly maple top and possessively scratching the face plate. I've done some pretty wild things with wood but that's a bridge too far. So scaling back to curly maple case, walnut piping a carved Marshall logo - I'm thinking black - with a two tone dye job. Scarlet sanded back topped with orange and a spray sealer. The scratched face plate is still a go as I plan to build a dragon claw with curly maple and ebony talons to sit on top. This way the thing - minus the claw - will fit in a flight case for shows.
Faceplate.jpg
I've got it put together
shell sanded.jpg
Am working on the piping cuts all done with my trusty table saw
Piping cuts.jpg
Gluing in the walnut piping
Piping glue 2.jpg
I'm off to finish adding the piping to the face plate.

Russ
Geeze

Re: Head shell for 1959

Post by Geeze »

Bottom piping bits are glued in - had to do a big relief cut to make the 'wrap around' work.
Bottom trim.jpg
Rough sanding to shape on the top piping.
Top piping rough sanded.jpg
Logo carving starts tomorrow.

Russ
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I look forward to seeing your handiwork on this project. THANKS for sharing!

With respect, 10thtx
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Piping dry and gaps filled with CA and an accelerant.
DSC_0624.JPG
DSC_0625.JPG
DSC_0626.JPG
DSC_0623.JPG
Russ
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Fantastic work! Nice piece of wood and the walnut "piping" really sets it off. 8) Flawless box joints! Did you use a stacked dado blade to make those?
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

statorvane wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:57 am Fantastic work! Nice piece of wood and the walnut "piping" really sets it off. 8) Flawless box joints! Did you use a stacked dado blade to make those?
Yes I used a Freud carbide set - even better than the Forrest I used for years. I can hold to .002" going across the plank.

Working on the logo today.
logo drawn.jpg
Cut with a dremel in a Stewmac router rig.
DSC_0628.JPG
It is currently painted black and filled with epoxy.

Russ
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

My beloved 6" magnifying light decided to bite the big one and I needed a bit of eyeball assistance. After flailing about plotting to a fix the 5" lens to my head, clamps and guitar cable ties to the rescue. It's ugly but it saved me from dashing through the monsoon to a store to get another one.
Stewmac magnifier.jpg
Here is the logo after tape off [to keep the black spray paint in the correct place], epoxy applied and while semi cured I pulled off most of the blue tape.
Logo before sand.jpg
And sanded.
DSC_0629.JPG
I filled most of the pin holes but I messed with the epoxy too much as I attempted to level it and created a pant load of bubbles.

I sanded to 220 and applied the RIT scarlet dye. The original plan was a two tone with the scarlet sanded back and orange applied then sealed. It always struck me as over the top gaudy. Since I strive for subtle, understated and easily overlooked designs [who am I kidding?!?] I may just use the scarlet and then seal. A red head appeals to me.
DSC_0632.JPG
DSC_0634.JPG
Russ
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Where is the head blown clean off button!?

}}} :o {{{
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

First coat of lacquer.
DSC_0638.JPG
DSC_0639.JPG
Russ
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

That cab is too dangerous to let loose in public. People might ruin their eyes. Send it to me for proper disposal. :lol:
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

You're about 5 offers too late! Now I'm on the hunt for matching wood for a 1960B cab.

Assembled.
DSC_0641.JPG
DSC_0642.JPG
Russ
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Geeze, your cabs are beautiful, but I would be afraid to take one out of my house! Do you actually transport, and use these beautiful cabs in a band? Seems even with road cases for transport, they would get dinged!
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Bill Moore wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:45 pm Geeze, your cabs are beautiful, but I would be afraid to take one out of my house! Do you actually transport, and use these beautiful cabs in a band? Seems even with road cases for transport, they would get dinged!
Thank you Bill! I'd get paid to NOT play. But yes I take them to jams and guitar shows regularly - flight cases are optional. I use easily repairable finishes like boiled linseed or brushed on lacquer as you can steam out scratches and dings to a certain degree. I build them to use them and the natural patina of use adds to the beauty for me. I treat my few remaining tolexed heads the same way I do the pretty ones - gently.

Under bits.
DSC_0653.JPG
Superlead installed.
DSC_0656.JPG
Russ
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

wow geeze, that is STELLAR! absolutely a work of art, well done :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Faze

Post by Faze »

Beautiful!