Walnut Fattbaby

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Walnut Fattbaby

Post by Geeze »

On TGP there was an interesting thread on cab resonance and Zilla cabs was referenced particularly their Fatbaby. I've never been convinced of oversized cabs do anything like the gushing claims I've heard for years so this was a good time to build one. And a 15" wide piece of figured walnut [and padauk for the corner blocks] just managed to follow me home recently.

I had a fubar and had two sets of dimensions for cabs and used the shorter cab for the sides. After power words were used I artfully stuck in a 2" piece of paduak to correct the error.
Fingerjointed.jpg
I decided to round the corners of the blocks for visual interest.
Corner.jpg
Here it is sanded to 60 grit with the plywood bottom and fake fingers glued up.
Sanded.jpg
Last night I sanded to 220 and sprayed on numerous coats of lacquer.
Lacquer 6.jpg
Lacquer 5.jpg
Now I'm waiting for the grill cloth to come today.

Russ
Colossal

Re: Walnut Fattbaby

Post by Colossal »

Very, very nice! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the sound.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Aside from continuing to show that cab bottom side up <kidding> it looks great. (I can't help myself, thinking I'd like to see the padauk stripe on top. Error correction very nicely, gracefully done!) Will be interested in what you think about the sound. A thought, you can always cut an interior back plate that shortens the front to back dimension to see if it makes a difference or an interior V shaped insert just because you can to see if that does anything to float your boat.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Phil_S wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 pm Aside from continuing to show that cab bottom side up <kidding> it looks great. (I can't help myself, thinking I'd like to see the padauk stripe on top. Error correction very nicely, gracefully done!) Will be interested in what you think about the sound. A thought, you can always cut an interior back plate that shortens the front to back dimension to see if it makes a difference or an interior V shaped insert just because you can to see if that does anything to float your boat.
Initial testing - at lower volumes - is not a dramatic difference vs. a 20x20x11 cab with the same speaker. Tonally its a bit different but not MASSIVE!!! or any of the superlatives used to describe OS cabs vs. smaller with the same speaker. Maybe I'm doing the reverse confirmation bias. :shock:

Here is my process and fixtures for grill cloth installation.

This is the jig I've been using for the last few years. The baffle is held on one edge by a couple of screws and the whole contraption is clamped to my fab table. The other end is supported by a wooden fixture which allows me to clamp the 'loose' side down. A truly necessary bit as I put a bunch of tension on the grill cloth to get it tight.

jig 2.jpg
This is the size 12 'hands free' tensioning device - a woven ribbon tied to the clamps holding an L bracket and a backer clamped to the grill cloth. My size 12 steps on the ribbon and tension is applied. I had to place my 85lb mill vice on the other end of the fab table to keep that end on the ground.
Fabric 2.jpg
Lights are a critical aid to ensure the grill cloth is straight - or at least what you can live with. The Bluesbreaker cloth's weave I have isn't 90° - horizonal gray stripes to the much smaller vertical black threads. Nor are the gray stripes perfectly straight. I spent some time positioning to best visual appearance.
Fabric.jpg
Then I clamp down the loose end and start stapling on that edge then apply the size 12 tensioning device after checking, double checking, triple checking that the offside edges are still aligned. Don't be parsimonious with the staples either. I use 1/4" on BB ply as the 3/8" tend to stand too tall.
Fabric 3.jpg
I use a razor to trim the excess off. Then 'seat' the staples with a hammer.
Fabric 5.jpg
Russ
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks for sharing. I may borrow your clamping technique in a near future... we'll see... 8)

The grillcloth seems to often come non perfectly square, does it seem.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Fattbaby is done - save for the handle.
Grill 3.jpg
Cabs r.jpg
Here is the back dyed orange.
Cab back.jpg
After building several TL806 cabs that the EVM12L just dominates I smile when I see this pic of much less domination.
EVM12L.jpg
I'm looking for a location to do some volume testing in central Tennessee. I certainly miss the 18K sqft facility I had in Dallas.

Russ
xtian

Post by xtian »

Lovely. What will you do when you're completely surrounded in shiny wooden boxes?

I have about a dozen amps stacked into a walk-in closet. I take naps in there sometimes...
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

xtian wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:56 pm Lovely. What will you do when you're completely surrounded in shiny wooden boxes?

I have about a dozen amps stacked into a walk-in closet. I take naps in there sometimes...
They're all on display - I live in a mancave. Occasionally I trade or sell some but like your amps they do tend to breed...

Russ
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Geeze wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:00 pm I'm looking for a location to do some volume testing in central Tennessee. I certainly miss the 18K sqft facility I had in Dallas.

Russ
2.9K sq ft in Old Hickory available for volume testing. Just need to kick the wife out sometime - and she's scrappy....
Sweet cab.
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

Power words
We've all been there..... That looks great. The stripe will make the cab go faster. I think your grill cloth could use more flowers, though.
We build because we must.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

stelligan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:42 am
Geeze wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:00 pm I'm looking for a location to do some volume testing in central Tennessee. I certainly miss the 18K sqft facility I had in Dallas.

Russ
2.9K sq ft in Old Hickory available for volume testing. Just need to kick the wife out sometime - and she's scrappy....
Sweet cab.
Is she bribable? That would be awesome - PM sent.

Russ
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

New camera day.
P6280689.JPG
One of the reasons I chose this sized cab was to fit small box [Marshall, that is...] cabs since I have one and some smaller.
P6280681.JPG
Russ