AC15 pot question

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Oddvar R

AC15 pot question

Post by Oddvar R »

Is there anyone that could advice me on what kind of switch to use as the speed / vib trem and the brilliance switch on the AC15?
Stevem

Re: AC15 pot question

Post by Stevem »

Switches and pots are two different things, so which are you looking for?

Also are we talking about a reissue ac15 or a Original one, of which there are a few sub models.

If on a reissue model your looking for the reverse taper 2.2meg pot in the Tremolo circuit then your best bet of getting that is from Korg.

A ton of Fender amps use a 3meg reverse taper pot in there trem circuit, and this pot can be had, but it's a full size pot , so I don't know what your needs maybe in that regard.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Stevem wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:12 am Switches and pots are two different things, so which are you looking for?

Also are we talking about a reissue ac15 or a Original one, of which there are a few sub models.

If on a reissue model your looking for the reverse taper 2.2meg pot in the Tremolo circuit then your best bet of getting that is from Korg.

A ton of Fender amps use a 3meg reverse taper pot in there trem circuit, and this pot can be had, but it's a full size pot , so I don't know what your needs maybe in that regard.
The AC30 and AC15 have push pull pots that both act as a pot for the speed and also toggle the trem depth.

Hoffman has them here: https://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlsho ... D=!ORDERID!

as for a switch for the bright, almost any spst switch will work, you just turn on/off the circuit for the bright cap removing it or adding it to the circuit. The VDC should be 0 there and VAC is pretty low, maybe max 10 - 20 VAC, at the preamp levels.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The JMI 1960 AC-15 does not use a pot for speed. It uses a three position rotary switch (with knob) to select one of three fixed speeds. The Brilliance switch and Vib/Trem are both 2 position rotary switches. There is no front/top panel control for vib/trem depth/intensity, but there is a depth trimmer on the board.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oh I guess that makes sense, I built mine off your version that had these, I wasn't aware of the actual amp itself. thanks for clarifying.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Oddvar R

Post by Oddvar R »

Thanks, I got two originals from a guy in England.