Dr-103 Double-bias-mod chassis pots locations

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

traktop

Dr-103 Double-bias-mod chassis pots locations

Post by traktop »

I'm going to make the double bias mod to my hiwatt using a couple of 25k locking shaft pots like this one. http://www.mouser.es/ProductDetail/ETI- ... 52btESU%3d . I was thinking on locating the pots up on the chassis, just using the 2 remaining holes between preamp tubes, and using some sort of bias probe I won't have to deal with all of those potencially killer cables down there...
[img:1024:505]http://www.amparchives.com/Amp%20Archiv ... nside1.jpg[/img]
I see some things on the way: the rolled pair of cables and that big silver cap, but it seems like achievable.
Does anyone performed something like this? Or does anyone have any other useful/"elegant" suggestion/alternative example?
Thanks in advance, Gilberto.
Stevem

Re: Dr-103 Double-bias-mod chassis pots locations

Post by Stevem »

Have you un bused the amps grounds? The stock wiring is neat as a pin, but does not make for least amount of 120 hz hum you can end up with !
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
traktop

Re: Dr-103 Double-bias-mod chassis pots locations

Post by traktop »

Stevem wrote:Have you un bused the amps grounds? The stock wiring is neat as a pin, but does not make for least amount of 120 hz hum you can end up with !
Yeah, that´s what I thought... Maybe attaching a trimmer to a sort of board material piece, drilling holes on the sides for having screws attached to the chassis holes, leaving the trimmer accesible throught the free preamp hole...
Or is just how close would be the cables from the pot the main problem?
The attached files show a dr-504 work where I took the idea from.
Cheers, gilberto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.