6V6 Hiwatt style

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dcribbs1412

6V6 Hiwatt style

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Thinking of using DR iron with a set of Bendix 5992 tubes.
Looking at the Triwatt and 80's Lead for ideas.
Just looking for something a little different out of the DR iron.
Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Darin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keto

Re: 6V6 Hiwatt style

Post by keto »

Check out Trinity Amps Triwatt. I'm just finishing mine, it essentially uses a DR103 preamp, adds in a later high gain stage from a later era of Hiwatt, and puts it through 2@6V6, for a lower powered version. I think if you look around on their forum, you might find the layout and schematic.
2651amp

Post by 2651amp »

Here they are.
I wonder If I can use this to rebuild my abominable Korean Hiwatt?
Can the power section be reworked for el84?

They lowered the negative feed back resistor from 10k to 7k.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

keto wrote:Check out Trinity Amps Triwatt. I'm just finishing mine, it essentially uses a DR103 preamp, adds in a later high gain stage from a later era of Hiwatt, and puts it through 2@6V6, for a lower powered version. I think if you look around on their forum, you might find the layout and schematic.
Thanks keto
I have been looking at the Trinity Triwatt for ideas.
Cool looking circuit
Did you use the foot switch for the OD?
What values if any where changed (V1,V3)using the tweakers notes?

Thanks
Darin
keto

Post by keto »

I'm a novice - I've built many pedals but this was my first amp build, so I just went straight off the layout with no mods. I still have to do a little tweaking to get it 100% running right. So, sorry, I didn't do any tweaking. Unfortunately, Trinity's forum is a bit of a mess to try and sort through - I think I read 90% of the Triwatt threads before I touched solder, but not all the info stuck with me.

I didn't go for the footswitch mod, mainly out of fear of inducing more noise. I still have to do some chopsticking around the OD pot as it is.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

keto wrote:I'm a novice - I've built many pedals but this was my first amp build, so I just went straight off the layout with no mods. I still have to do a little tweaking to get it 100% running right. So, sorry, I didn't do any tweaking. Unfortunately, Trinity's forum is a bit of a mess to try and sort through - I think I read 90% of the Triwatt threads before I touched solder, but not all the info stuck with me.

I didn't go for the footswitch mod, mainly out of fear of inducing more noise. I still have to do some chopsticking around the OD pot as it is.
No worries keto
Starting with the layout without mods is a good plan.
Lots of info to process.
Get it sounding good and go from there.
I remember reading a thread over at trinity about a Triwatt build that had some noise problems and it turned out to be the OD leads.
http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewto ... 6&start=20
There are a few pics of completed builds. Maybe take a look at how the OD cables are run. Or try different or swap preamp tubes.
Is it squealing with the OD pot turned up?
maybe some pics if you have any.

Darin