Mojo Dijon caps

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Lousyatit

Mojo Dijon caps

Post by Lousyatit »

Does anyone here have experience with these? Here is a blurb from the Mojo site;

What's up with the Mojo Dijon Caps

We have received numerous inquiries on the Dijon caps as to what to expect from them so we decided to give out some info on how we came to carry them.

The original project was to either manufacture Mallory 150 style caps that looked like the original mustards used in early British amps, or to replicate the manufacturing of them in a standard looking package, or if we were really lucky both. The manufacturer we went with said they could replicate the build process but not the look, and that the reason more caps are not made this way is; part of the process requires human hands as part of the manufacturing. With that we had samples made.

Normally first run samples have issues that have to be worked out, this was not the case with the Dijons. We sent them to many OEMs and received rave reviews. We left it to them on the sound tests - but we did decide to cut a few caps open and have a look. The pictures show 3 .022 caps. A Sprague Orange drop, a Mallory 150, and a Mojo Dijon. What may or may not be obvious from the pictures are the following observations.
The Sprague has heavy plastic insulation layers that are thicker than the aluminum foil used.
The Mallory 150 being a metal film has brittle layers of plastic that have been coated with a metal coating.
The Dijons have a much more elegant build. Even layers of film and foil result in a cap that when cut apart fans out nicely.

So with that said you may still be asking yourself "why try these caps?" Our only answer is "why not". They are not extremely expensive and if you like them as much as most people do, you will have another tone tool in your arsenal.

Here's the link, it has some photos. http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/faq-de ... ?id=586412
rooster

Re: Mojo Dijon caps

Post by rooster »

I have used them. As tone caps in various Gibson gtrs, and that would be strictly the .022 version, and also in one phase inverter circuit of a Class AB Fender type amp. Again, the .022 version. Both applications are working fine, BTW. Do they sound and perform like mustard caps of Marshall fame? I have no idea, this is such an impossible call unless you had the mustards on hand and did the swap. I don't and have not...

So I cannnot tell you how they 'sound' as a coupling cap in the preamp secton of an amp, and this is probably what you are looking for? Sorry.

In a Fender Super Reverb build, on another note, I have instead used the Mojotone 'Vitamin T' cap. Yes, another .022 version used on the reverb channel - as a final coupling cap just before the signal splits to the verb. How does it sound? Hmm. Actually pretty good IMO. I swapped a same value 716P orange drop out for one and it was a different sound. 'Rounder' might be the word but I am not a scientist. I do think the Vitamin Ts are worth trying? YMMV.

Seeing the photos - thank you, BTW, for the link as I hadn't seen these - I am actually impressed with the build of the dejons. I mean, they didn't open an original mustard cap which would have been a better comparison, but it is plain to see that there is something different going on inside the dejon compared to the 150s and the orange drops. BTW, I do kinda hate how they use the word 'brittle' in the 150 description? Whether they meant it or not, by associating that word to the product, they are making a connection that a newbee might take to mean that the 150 tone is also brittle. Ah, the slight of hand. And if you know caps, you know the 150s are not brittle sounding....

Not much help perhaps, its all I got. I do try new things sometimes. Given the cost and the hype, this was a good experiment. I can tell you that I will always buy more 150s, but will continue to experiment with other options. The oil and foil/paper thing remains a strong curiosity, and more so than anything mustard. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

oil and foil are very nice.... havent used the mojo product.... I dont know
who made it for them..... I can vouch for Jensen caps.....its detail.....
foil caps present a sound stage with less blurr..... but arent so analytical
to be transparent..... check out www.partsconnexion.com they got foil caps
made from aluminiun.... copper..... even silver if you really feel the need to
invest in your signal path....... I can say in general that there is a break in
with foil caps...... they seem to warm up in tone after a bit.....
lazymaryamps
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

My experience with them:

Owned a Germino Classic 45...sounded great as-is w/ the Mallory 150's but I couldn't leave it alone, so I sent it back to Greg to have him replace witht he Mojo's. Greg's work was phenomenal but the amp sounded worse. Sharp & brittle. Hated it. Sent it back, had the Mallory's put back in, amp sounded wonderful again.

A lesson (and an expensive one at that) is to go with what has been proven to work!

-Rich
Bear

Post by Bear »

Any talk of break-in being required? Sozo's reputedly require burn-in, and are supposed to sound kind of like you're describing the Mojo's until they're fully broken-in.

Bear
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

It's possible. I didn't wait long enough t break them in so there is a possibility that that could of helped. When Greg put the Mallory's back in, they were new 150's and not the ones that he took out, and I still liked the amp better w/ the Mallory's.

Haven't compared the Sozo's but they also have a tried & true rep for being very good, AFAIK.

-Rich
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

interesting
Roe

Post by Roe »

these are the same cap as TAD mustards right? it seems that greg germino and several of the guys at metroamp prefers the sozos. larry of larry amps said that the TADs sound more modern and aggressive while the sozos were closer to the philips/mullard mustards. larry prefered the sozo premiums out of the new caps
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Lousyatit

Post by Lousyatit »

There is a strong likelihood that the Mojo's and TAD's are the same.