Wrecked Jr

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

GitDiv

Wrecked Jr

Post by GitDiv »

Hi everybody.

Just wandered if someone knowledgeable could look at my schematic, and tell me if it will fly....more or less. Any suggestions on the PI stage cathode values would help. The first two stages are as per Zaphod Phil's(ax84) 12bz7 suggestions. Is it absolutely necessary to use 22uf on the first two cathodes?

Thanks

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GitDiv

Re: Wrecked Jr

Post by GitDiv »

Bump

Anybody?
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Try this...

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ight=wreck

Fun little amp and sounds pretty Liverpool-ish too! Remember, it's a little fun practice amp. You just can't get real wreck sounds from these little buggers. :wink:
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

I just noticed you posted that one year ago today. Cool, for no particular reason...
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

Allynmey wrote:You just can't get real wreck sounds from these little buggers. :wink:
well, maybe you can't. :wink:

germ
drew

Post by drew »

GitDiv wrote:Hi everybody.

Just wandered if someone knowledgeable could . . .
Well, that rules me out.

Is this intended to be an Epi Valve Jr. conversion?
GitDiv

Post by GitDiv »

Hi drew.

Yes that was my intention. Any more comments? ......all appreciated.

Hey,Allenmey.

I am familiar with the "derailment" schem. I kind of adapted it to my schem.
I'm sure it won't sound just like a Wreck, but it might start leaning in that direction. I'm hoping. I'm more interested in the "touch-sensitivity"it(the Express) is known for.

Also, would a "sag" resistor help with the feel? Don't want it to be soggy, but it's nice to take off that initial milisecond of hardness.

Thanks

Dave
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

No such thing as sag in an SE amp, so that isn't going to help you. There is also no PI in an SE amp.

The derailment is probably as close as you are going to get to a Wreck Jr.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
GitDiv

Post by GitDiv »

I'm aware that there is no sag in a proper SE, but I had read that if you put a 100r (or so) resistor ahead of the reservoir cap, just after the rectifier,that you would get some sag. I suppose it was to starve the reservoir cap on hard attack.

I also used the other half of the second tube to employ a "fake" half of a PI as CarlB used in one of his "Melissa"-type schematics (the"Split Rock"I think it was called).

Someone on this board said that a PI type circuit (or Driver) would be better than a cathode follower in that 4th position.

Thanks for your response.

Dave
Last edited by GitDiv on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

GitDiv, I started out with the derailment layout ( I believe it is corrected now on this site. It was incorrect a while back). I made the amp with two tubes just to make a fun amp. It sounds pretty cool but, like I said it isn't a wreck but, it IS wrecky sounding. :lol: Pretty dynamic and nice tone. i haven't played mine since last year so I can't remember that well.

Allynmey