Cabs

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fredy

Cabs

Post by fredy »

heyho, for my build when i eventually have the money to do it, i want to build a head cab out of zebrano and stain in cherry red. Problem is, zebrano is quite a dark wood and i am worried that it wont quite come out how i would like.

has anyone done a similar build? how did it turn out? what wood did you use? how did you paint it? and do you have any pics?

thank you in advance
benoit

Re: Cabs

Post by benoit »

If you really think it would look good, just take a small scrap an stain that to see if you like it or not. As for me, if I had some nice zebrano I would just let it be.. Every piece of that wood I've seen is just gorgeous. I recommend a clear coat - maybe an oil finish and then a wax coat.
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

Staining a dark wood red will not cause it to look red.. If you want the cab to have a red apperance you will either have to use a lighter wood that will accept the stain, or actually paint the cabinet red.. And if you do paint it red why use nicely figured wood?
I have built many cabs out of dark exotic wood and the more dense a wood is the less it will accept color from a stain. It will however bring out the grain of the wood and actually enhance its apperance if you use the right color. But don't expect it to have the same apperance as the stain you applied.

As an example I am attaching two pictures of a Bubinga cabinet I am getting ready to buff out. This cab was stained with an orange stain but only the faintest hint of orange can be seen. The same will occur if you were to use a red stain..

If you have the equipment I think it is hard to beat a sprayed on lacquer finish, but there are many ways to make a cabinet look great... :D

[img:800:533]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/ ... C01767.jpg[/img]

[img:800:533]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/ ... C01768.jpg[/img]
nickt

Post by nickt »

Hijack alert... er.. gulp... WOW! :shock:
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

That sure is puuurty!!
How did you mask front ~1"? The way that it follows the grain is way cool.

Dave O.
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I've seen that cab up close, at least pretty sure that is the one. That is the natural grain and color (not a masked off stain) which is amazing!
Great job of cutting the wood at a very cool point to bring out the contrast.
fredy

Post by fredy »

that cab is very nice, love how the front is a different colour! i was thinking about finishing it in the same way a guiatr is done. Like a cherry burst les paul but no burst, just cherry. I think, if i can find a lighter piece of zebrano it should work swimmingly. I have never painted anything more than a wall before though. How does one go about painting/staining/spraying or what ever, a cab?
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

geetarpicker wrote:I've seen that cab up close, at least pretty sure that is the one. That is the natural grain and color (not a masked off stain) which is amazing!
Great job of cutting the wood at a very cool point to bring out the contrast.
Hey Glen, actually this is very similar wood as Scott's cab but it is not his.
It is however from the same wood supplier.
The lighter wood is is the sapwood of the tree and the darker part is considered the heartwood. The trick in getting the sapwood to matchup on the corners is to take a thick piece of wood and resaw it so it is bookmatched. That way the top and one side are exactly the same as the bottom and the remaining side.. It is a little tricky to do but looks nice if you can pull it off..
guitonit

Post by guitonit »

It looks like I have started a trend!!!

Another stellar cab Larry, I LOVE the way the corners match up on this one!!

Scott A.
What do you mean the tour's over?
Humbucker

Post by Humbucker »

This almost makes me weep - you guys produce cab after cab of fine art. Me, I just had a head cab made. It's sycamore if you wonder what it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldie newbie.
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

guitonit wrote:It looks like I have started a trend!!!

Another stellar cab Larry, I LOVE the way the corners match up on this one!!

Scott A.
Hey Scott, yes you did start a trend..

But remember the first one is always special... :D
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Humbucker wrote:This almost makes me weep - you guys produce cab after cab of fine art. Me, I just had a head cab made. It's sycamore if you wonder what it is.
Nice cab Humbucker! It looks like it has a little of the Komet design in the cab for good measure? 8)
Humbucker

Post by Humbucker »

Seems like it, I'm afraid. I hope you guys don't bash me because of the logo - the guy did it without asking and I just thought: "Well, I know this is NOT a TW and it will NEVER be a TW - and I sure as hell will tell everybody this is a homage to Ken Fischer, - and still just a humble clone".
Oldie newbie.