KF Memorial Amp Clips

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Allynmey
Site Admin

KF Memorial Amp Clips

Post by Allynmey »

Richie

Re: KF Memorial Amp Clips

Post by Richie »

Great Clips, and Glens playing is killer as always.
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

Cool stuff! Great work Glen! Phil
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

Great clips and playing.
I will be interested to hear Glen's comparisons of the tribute amp to his original Express.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Really really something else ain't it. Wow. I hope we get about a hundred pictures inside and out. Great job guys. You are to be congratulated on this noble effort. This will be auctioned when?

Dan H
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Thanks for putting these up Allyn.
Outstanding clip;s of some outstanding playing. Nice job Glen!
geoffreysnow

Post by geoffreysnow »

what happened to the build progress site following that amp?
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

can't download them, can't open them oh well, I'm sure they sound fine.
Great things happen in a vacuum
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Here are some details on making the clips.

First the KEN amp sounds great! Sustains great, cleans up well, and feels right. Definately the best Express "clone" I've ever played. It however is a damn bright amp. But I was able to dial it in. So, to get a sound similar to what I am use to getting with my original '89 Express I set the amp as follows:

Bright: full position
Volume: just a little over half
Treble: off (yep, off)
Middle: half
Bass: half
Presence: 1/4

Interestingly if I set the treble on my original amp off the amp turns to mud, almost as dark as the bass channel on a Marshall. My normal control settings are all on 1/2 with the volume on about 1:00, with bright on full. I tried swapping tubes from my original into the Ken amp, but the amp just sounded best left with what it came with. I biased the Ken amp to 45ma. My bet the brightness issue is in the output transformer, but who knows?

So, that said the tone is there albiet with odd knobs settings. I ran my typical two guitar cord setup (x2 Mogami 20' cords end to end) to tame the high end going in just a tad.

Hope you all like the clips!

[img:20:20]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/ ... Wlight.gif[/img] www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall[img:20:20]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/ ... Wlight.gif[/img]
riscado

Post by riscado »

thanks for the clips, great playing Glen as usual...

Also thanks Allyn for the build, I've seen the web page for the project and I believe I also saw a youtube clip, your memorial amp sounds and looks great.

I'd like to ask what transformers were used, I think this was on the site but it isn't active anymore and I don't seem to remember.

thanks
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Glen
The clips sound just fantastic. I keep listening to them again and again and I keep having to pick my jaw up off of the floor. You make the amp sound like no one else I know ever could. Thanks so much for taking the time to help us out on this project. 8) 8) 8)
riscado wrote: I'd like to ask what transformers were used, I think this was on the site but it isn't active anymore and I don't seem to remember.

thanks
The trannys are Heyboers that were built to Ken's specs some time ago and had been on a shelf for a few years. They were donated by Brian Wallace. The OT is a 5.2k like Glen mentioned.

Guys
We have had a couple of technical difficulties with the ampbuildersguild website. I think the powers that be are working on getting it back up.
riscado

Post by riscado »

So possibly the 5.2k primary can be part of the reason for some of the added brightness...

Great amp you guys got going on there.

thanks
UR12

Post by UR12 »

riscado wrote:So possibly the 5.2k primary can be part of the reason for some of the added brightness...

Great amp you guys got going on there.

thanks
Possibly, but after hearing Glen's clips I doubt that we change it. That amp just sounds to good to screw with. Someone is going to get a great sounding amp when it is auctioned off.
riscado

Post by riscado »

yeah I agree, not to be messed with, it sounds great...

thanks
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Riscado, this was a Dana build. :wink: A lot of people contributed and did work on their parts and shipped them to Dana for final assembly. He did a great job!!!

Glen those clips kick ass!!!!

The Ampbuilders Guild site is being redone and will be up soon.